3 phase hybird grid tie commercial installation

Tecnodave
Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭
A freind has a commercial building and is wanting to do a hybird grid tie system, plans include XW+6848 inverters,maybe 8848's, Schneider CC's, huge FLA batteries, at 2700 a.h. 2 volt cells, wants all gear to communicate, so all Schneider with combox, monotoring , etc. Power company has approved concept but awaits final details. Small machine shop with time dependent delivery needs, so system must support small Bridgeport milling machine without interruption, also small CNC Lathe, need 6-8 h.p. during power outages, can't stop CNC in process. POCO is PG&E, location Santa Cruz, County, service is 400 amp 240 volt delta hi-leg. Are there any issues that we need to look out for? I'm over my head on this one, want a bit of expertise here, thanx....
david
2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Sometimes you have to get an Engineer (and/or installer with experience and references that you check) to get things done right.

The other option is to get a diesel genset and simply fire it up when high winds/PG&E power warnings are posted...

I cannot believe that shutting off power for hours to days at a time is PG&E + state of California's solution for power line sparked fires (which were terrible).

They are going to drive even more businesses out of the state.  :'(

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited June 2019 #3
    I would also add--Check out what GT Solar rate plan(s) they will let his business use... It may have some complexity that could cause some high bills...

In years past, the powers that be installed solar panels on schools to save money... And what happened is that non-residential customers can have demand charges (basically the peak 15 minute peak energy transfer during the last month).

What happened was the GT Solar systems were running a lot of power back into the utility lines during summer--Which made for high demand charges (turns out that demand charges "don't care" about the direction of energy transfer, and the high average solar power back to the grid was kicking them into higher "demand charges/tariffs"). Very roughly, actual kWH charges and demand charges were ~50% each of the "normal" bill.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Tecnodave
    edited June 2019 #4
    Thanks for that tidbit, I had assumed that high demand charges were for use only, not for ganeration. The local farmers run their 100 h.p. water pumps at night, cheaper to pay water man to work at night than the peak use rate.
    2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • Tecnodave
    PG&E is dissolving itself, readying for bankruptcy, they have farmed out all our local high voltage, including 100 kv. to Cupertino Electric