morning star 300 watt inverter not working

wellbuilt
wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
Hi all , I’m haviving a small problem with my morning star 300 watt pro sin inverter . 
 It’s been plug and play for the last 4 years . 
 I use the little inverter to pump water into my transfer tank 300 gallons at a time . 
 This past weekend I turned the inverter on plugged in the pump and no ac power ? 
  The green power light was on ,  the battery’s are 4 years old but was reading ok . 
 The unit work good last fall . 
  I checked the connections and had good voltage in the battery’s ..
  what else needs to be checked ? 
   It a simple unit I don’t think it just died sitting there ? 
  I did tap it with a screw driver .  Thanks in advance  john
Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can be wired with a toggle switch to turn on/off.  Maybe check for a problem there?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited May 2019 #3
    Check the toggle switch configuration... As Estragon says, check the remote on/off connection, see if in "search mode" (needs >6 Watt AC load to turn on (pump or pump wiring bad), and do you have an GFI outlet in the circuit (I have seen a few 10+ year old GFI outlets fail or even the buttons and springs pop out).

Try any other >6 Watt AC load...

And even MorningStar inverters fail...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • wellbuilt
    Thanks for the reply’s , I tried the the toggle switch and replaced the little jumper wire .
     I only have a 3’ wire from the unit  to a outlet  and no gfi . 
     The pump works off my generator and my house inverter .
     The green power light is on , and there are no faults . 
     There is just no ac out put . 
      It has been sitting since last fall with the power off  in the cold with solar panels on Charging the battery’s.
     I was really taken back when the inverter just stoped working, it has work flawlessly since day one.
     Hmmmm I read that there are internal fuses  ? 
      Any other ideas 

Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • billybob9
    billybob9 Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭
    This recently happened to my AIM inverter 500w with the green light on and no power. I took it apart and tested every fuse in the unit. Then looked for something burned out. As I found nothing I checked the Internet to see if there could be a diode that was known to blow out. Most posts on inverters say unplug and check each board individually. End result was just replace board or complete unit. So like the song goes " Another one bites the dust ".
  • wellbuilt
    Thanks for the reply billy , it just seams funny that the unit died just sitting with no power . 
     I turned the battery’s switch to on the green light powered right up .
     I turned the toggle to on plugged in my little pump and nothing . 
      I was surprised when it did not work. 
     I don’t really even need the inverter to pump water but I’ve been using it for 4 years and don’t know how it died just sitting . 
     I will pull it this weekend and try it with some new battery’s. 
     I thought it would give better service  it’s only 4/5 years old . 
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    I had one die unexpectedly once as well, after ~ ten years of service.  IIRC, it faulted red though when it quit.  I have been running an identical replacement for ~5 years with no issues.  Not to miss the obvious, but I assumed you checked the voltage at the terminals with a volt meter?  Also, you could try switching the the hot and the neutral on the inverter.

Tony
  • wellbuilt
    No volt meter on site , but I was in full sun full sun so my solar panels would have had the voltage up on the battery’s .
       I’ll check the battery’s this weekend , but in March the batterys had good SG . 
      I have a old Hart inverter from the 80s that is still making power .
         Thanks for the reply tony 
  • icarus
    I mean check the voltage on the output terminals of the inverter. T
  • wellbuilt
    I will check out every thing this weekend , I used a test light on my ac out put and I had nothing
  • NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    I don't know anything of this particular unit. But, switches do go bad if they sit around not being used.  That is because most switches used in low voltage are not rated for that kind of use.  They form an oxide layer that is non conductive and the voltage is too low to break thru the oxide layer and often there is not enough mechanical action to wear thru it.  Appropriate contact materials are two expensive and you can generally get at least ten years in a dry environment.
  • wellbuilt
    Hi all , as it turns out  I seam to have a rodent problem in my trailer where the inverter is  installed ,  the wire that ran from my toggle switch to the inverter was chewed , indident know rats eat copper
  • icarus
    Apparently some wire plastic is vegetable based...soy maybe? Some is then irresistible to rodents, mice, voles, rats etc.  IIRC Subaru had a real problem with wiring harnesses because of this.

Tony
  • BB.
    Tony/Icarus is right... You can find even a couple of court actions over this (at least one was tossed):

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/how-to-protect-your-car-from-rodents/

Part of this was Europe requiring enviro-friendly materials for plastics/insulation/seat foam, etc.

Honda has some anti-chew tape (with mixed reviews), and some other items to separate you from your money:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=honda+rodent+tape

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019 #15
    I see a lot of rodent chewed automobile here in coastal California, My freind owns an auto repair shop and I help with the electrical end. We see at least 6 a year, Subaru and Honda are the rats choice. Here it's wood rats, older automobile with cotton wrap heed extra help, a real problem for Classic Car owners. No real solution, I've done the same automobile 3 times in 5 years now,  tried everything, ultrasound generators seem to be a deterrent.

AND BB,  thanks on the lead to Honda rodent tape, I will get some for my recurring customer
    2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • billybob9
    billybob9 Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭
    The problem here is also something I have encountered over the years. The manufacturers of campers and trailers do not seal the underside of their products. I have personally spent many hours caulking and plugging holes that small rodents have managed to squeeze through. I don't know why thy eat the wire but they do. I'm sure some find it shocking.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe they are using it to keep a sharp edge on their teeth. They will do the same thing to garden hoses. 

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• BB.
    We have a pet rabbit--He tries taking a nibble out of everything... But there is some wiring he really loves (Cat X cabling, small cables from wall warts to charging stations, and some [but not all] 120 VAC cordage.

David, try the Honda rodent tape--But don't buy a lot before you proof the installation. Over the years, it has had very mixed reviews.

-Bill
  • Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭
    I recently replaced a blown out main panel that had the skeletons of two frogs doing it touching the main bus and ground. Got some pictures of that one, more than once I've recovered bone white skeletons of mice  in main panels, I donate them to schools
    2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • stmoloud
    stmoloud Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭
    For sure, I have at this location lots of field mice who would like to move in to escape the winter and chew on a bit of wire. Mine is officially a classic vehicle but is retired so not about to go anywhere else. A few years back though I got a very nasty surprise  when turning the ignition key only to discover all the wires had been chewed through by a big rat which I had just previously gotten rid of, but a little late, it seemed. 
    760W panel array, 4 x 6v 220 ah Crown batteries, Tristar TS-45 PWM controller,  no name 600 PSW inverter.