Battery non-usage

photon_trap
photon_trap Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭

Hey all,

I have four, 6v batteries (L16 I think) that, although they have never been used, have been sitting for nearly 7 years without any charging or maintenance. Is there any hope for them?

-JA

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

First answer... Sell them to a battery recycler for the lead.

Second answer... There are people/processes out there that "claim" to recover dead batteries. Flushing out the old acid, various recharging methods, replacing the acid/electrolyte. And even one that turns them into "alkaline" batteries.

The second answer is messy, possibly hazardous (and hazardous wastes). And is nothing I would suggest that anyone do, ever, if they want to use them in a normal battery bank with lots of current and energy storage with long life.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not if they were stored near or above room temp.

I'd check them over for any physical damage (eg freeze induced cracking/bulging, dried up electrolyte), and if they seem okay I'd try charging (carefully). Ya never know.

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • photon_trap

Thanks !

There is no physical damage and the electrolyte level is at least reasonable. As they are brand new (although ageda bit I may just connect two together and apply 10 amp automotive charger (all I have available) and see what happens...

I am curious as to what actions take place over time in this state that cause deterioration.

-JA

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

As they discharge the acid weakens as Sulphur is deposited onto the plates, which will harden to the point it cannot be returned into the sulphuric acid electrolyte. After a year of sitting they are usually beyond recovery, 7 years, don't waste your time.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• photon_trap
    edited March 2019 #6

uuugh. oh well.

Thanks for the explaination, i wonder what value have they have at the recycler... (if any)

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Shop around. It may also depend on your state laws on recycling/core charge recovery fees/etc.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lead acid batteries are among the most recycled products on the planet.

In my area, they have a refundable per-core charge (currently ~$30ea). In some area, I think it's a variable per-pound amount. Like Bill says, maybe shop around.

I agree with LH2 that they're likely goners. Attempting to charge would be mostly just for the heck of it. I'd probably have a go, but I'm just like that.

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter