New Rich Text Editor in Beta (from our forum software supplier "Vanilla")

BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
Hi members,

Just an FYI. We may try the new (in beta) Rich Text Editor in the near future (better WYSIWYG -- What You See is What You Get).

If we turn it on, please feel free to make comments in this thread if you have issues--Or just happen to like it and want to keep it.

I will keep you posted on what happens next.

-Bill "moderator" B.
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• BB.
    OK, I have enable the Rich Text Editor and Rich Quotes (whatever that is). For both desktop and mobile devices.

Let me know how this works for you.

There are a few of us that have had ongoing problems with the WYSIWYG editor:
    • Sometimes we would get double spacing between paragraphs.
    • One person has been having problems with his Ipad screen locking up when editing an existing post.
    I am not sure I see any differences yet with the new editor--But it may take a few minutes (or longer) from when I switch it on to when it takes effect.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.

Hmm... Ok, there is a "save" button on the bottom of the configuration editor... Now I see the new editor.

Not many formating controls (bold, italic work with ctr B and ctr i).

I will see what I have to do to get the edit tool bar better populated with other functions.

-Bill

• BB.

Testing of Editor Header

Now, try to bold something.

OK, different method to access the format controls.

On the left, you will see a paragraph symbol (backwards P). Click on that to make headers, make a quote box, and a couple other functions that most people here will probably not use.

And if you want to bold, itatic, strike through, paragraph code block (if you want to put arbitrary program code in block and not get special edit characters like emoji), and inserting links. highlight the text you want to change and you will get another small window with the edit tag functions.

NAWS our host link becomes a hot link.

Youtube video:

So, it looks like the basics are still all here.

-Bill

• BB.
    edited February 2019 #5

Link pasted directly https://www.solar-electric.com/ when pasted below on its own line becomes:

Inserts information from source page and links it.

Here is a link from another solar forum thread:

Looks interesting...

Please feel free to use this thread to experiment/learn how to use the various posting functions.

Note that Twitter, Youtube and similar major sources of information (instagram, and others) will be auto-formatted too.

I do not see the ability to change fonts, font color, or add super and sub scripts (for math and chemical formulas). 😥

-Bill

• BB.

Folks,

Here is a document describing how to use the new Rich Text editor from Andrew at Vanilla:

-Bill

• BB.

And to create lists:

Andrew Dodson said:

Hey Bill, 

You can make lists with the Rich Editor (that may actually be in the bit that I'm adding). You can either type "1." then add a space, then whatever you need at that first point, then when you press 'Return', it'll automatically jump down to "2."  

You can do the same thing with bullet lists by starting it off with a single dash (-) then hitting space.  

List with numbers (1. beginning of line):

1. first
    2. second
    3. third

Bullet list ("-" beginning of line):

• first bullet
    • second bullet

Seems to work nicely.

-Bill

• Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭

BB,

I might have caused a problem just there. I tried logging in with my Lenovo idea pad....Windows 7 premium 64 bit. Still logged in with iPad, same user name, etc

It won't respond to either device, shut down Lenovo ,regained access, maybe that is a no-no,

I posted a few minutes ago with iPad and was not able to edit. Tried several times.

David

When rereading my posts I find errors that happen in the post that happened in my mind, I think much faster than I can type...LOL

2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • Tecnodave

BB,

Logged in with iPad, cannot edit post above, edit button does depress, does not do anything. Continuing to press ,up comes iOS message to copy, open, etc. pressing open does not produce a response?

david

2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • Tecnodave

• Tecnodave
    edited February 2019 #11

BB ,

Just posted above and immediately tried to edit that post, no joy! Edit button does depress, but does not go back to previous post. Does nothing...

I can work around this

david

(Bill B "BB"--Editing post as tecnodave)... Seems to work.

• Tecnodave
    edited February 2019 #12

BB posting as tecnodave:

test test test test edit as tecnodave....

-BB

Seems to work for me as tecnodave (I am using a chromebook with chrome browser here).

• BB.

Dave,

When you push the "gear", and get the popup window... Does it say "edit" or "edit (1 week)" for you?

Anything like "ublock origins", "adblock" or "adblock plus" or other ad blockers? I guess you do not have any cookie control software blocking *.solar-electric.com cookies.

I also left you a PM asking exactly what hardware and browser you are using (safari, etc.)...

-Bill

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

(Mobile version) edit comes up edit 1 week, seems to work for me FWIW

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Tecnodave

BB,

it says edit , I have seen edit (1 week) in the past.

ipad is model MC707LL/A iOS is 9.3.5 (13G36) Safari browser does not display version cookies set= allow from websites I visit

• Tecnodave

BB,

no adblockers at all, just plain vanilla ios

david

• BB.

David,

The missing "edit (1 week)", sounds to me, like your permissions are not passing through correctly.

I have given Andrew your info.

And to everyone, I have (in theory) made the new Rich Editor available to both desktop and mobile systems. If the Rich Text editor is an "issue" for mobile users, I can go back to the older editor, if needed.

-Bill

• Tecnodave

• Tecnodave

BB,

logged in with Lenovo Idea Pad  Z470  ,windows home premium 64 bit

issue remains with ipad, can log in but cannot post. or edit now.

have not cleaned ipad for a while, so I deleated all internet data, forced hard reboot, shut down, rebooted clean.

now I can login ok password entered ok can search forum ...but I cannot post or edit now. the comment box does not respond to touch, the edit box does not respond to touch

I use my ipad with no keyboard, only the touch screen. I do have a Bluetooth keyboard for the ipad but haven't used it for a while, will dig it out to see if that works. Maybe its the touch screen

will try anything

ipad is generation 3 64 gb.  model MC707LL/A   ios version 9.3.5  (13G36)  vanilla safari that came with ios, no other internet software, no ad blockers or other added software that would be blocking intetrnet.

please point me to place where I can pick desktop mode of mobile mode....have no idea what im using there. all my posts from day one are from same ipad

david

• Tecnodave

BB,

just a test, ipad is logged into midnite site , no issues, trying to eliminate issues.

the one bad that I did, logged in with Lenovo while ipad was still logged in same user id same password,

let me knoe if that is a big no-no

david

• Tecnodave

BB,

just tried to edit that, still have only Lenovo logged in...no joy...edit does not work for me, will post this immediately try to edit

david

• Tecnodave

BB,

no joy....edit button is there does not respond to mouse pad click....Lenovo built in pad...not external mouse

david

• Tecnodave

• Tecnodave

BB,

Clue just popped up on ipad i did post #23 and then tried to edit it. got message

Permission Problem

you need to enable java script to do that

ipad is logged in

Lenovo idea pad is logged in, this message is from Lenovo Idea Pad

so apparently i can be logged in with both at same time, site is ok from here (Lenovo)

• Tecnodave

• Tecnodave

BB,

post #25 from ipad....attempted to post, takes me back to top of this thread, leaves blank post

this post from lenovo

david

• Estragon
    edited February 2019 #27

Looking at page source, the edit stuff looks like it uses js. If not enabled or pooched on the ipad, that could be the problem.

Edit appears to work fine (Chrome) on my crufty old laptop.

No problem logged in from multiple devices... this edit from phone. FWIW

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • BB.

Certainly sounds like it could be a java script problem.

And yes, I can log in from multiple devices at the same time (I do with several computers and an Android phone). Works fine.

In windows I used StopScript to turn off JS. And I got similar problem in that I could not get the gear to work. However, I could not specifically emulate the failed EDIT button (could not get there from here on tecnodave's account).

And a question for folks using mobile/small screen devices... I cannot get the backwards P (paragraph mark) on the left side of the edit windows on Android+Firefox... This prevents me from using the Header, Quote, and other edit functions on my phone. Anyone else having that issue?

To answer another question, I can switch between mobile and desktop websites in mobile FireFox by going to the "hamburger menu" (3x stacked dots) in the upper right, and checking the "request desktop site" box... Then my phone displays the desktop site (site may not fit the small screen of the phone).

Interestingly enough, I cannot go to my Windows desktop Firefox and pick a "mobile" website...

-Bill

• Estragon

On Android (Note3), Samsung browser or Chrome, I don't get the paragraph mark either.

Off-grid.  
  • BB.

Thank you Estragon.

I have asked support about this.

Bill

• BB.

The problem with the missing (backwards P) paragraph menu on the left of the edit screen missing in mobile applications is known.

TecnoDave, are the "rest of your devices" working? Just the Ipad is failing?

So far, sounds like a problem with Java Script in your Ipad only?

Try this website and report the results:

If all OK, should get something like this (pretty formatting stripped):

Test Results JavaScript  IS WORKING  in your web browser Your web browser supports JavaScript version 1.7 

Your web browser is Chrome version 71.0.3578.

Every web browser identifies itself to websites with a character string called the "user agent". The User Agent string for your web browser is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS x86_64 11151.113.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/71.0.3578.127 Safari/537.36

Window innerWidth = 1536

Screen Total Width = 1536

Screen Available Width = 1536

-Bill