need some insight on a problem

Options
2»

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019 #32
    Options
    Costco has a dual fuel 7kw 240 genset for 6 or 7 hundred dollars. I have used them for clients xw and csw systems and they are fine.

As Mike said, what are you powering besides the xw which has a perfect power factor charging batteries?
    The costco genset is not going to last 10+ years like an eu 7000i but it will not kill your xw either if you set it up correctly.
    Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• t00ls
    t00ls Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Options
    well, after all that work and buying an inverter generator, which is nice and will run more than 10 hours on eco mode keeping the batteries at 51-52 volts at 30% charge rate...roughly 1500-1800 watts

anyways...after doing all that, the inverter was acting up again, cold and wet outside. I decided to try something radical

I unhooked the chassis ground to ground rod...still did the F63 and trip the breaker......went one step further....I have a manual transfer switch that I was using when I was grid tied, left it in place, still using it as a kinda breaker box or shtoff before it goes outside the shed

well inside this box I had made a neutral to ground bond, .....I disconnected it......its been a couple of months now since I did this and have not had a problem

I believe that somewhere in my wiring to the house trailer, there is another neutral ground bond....and do you know what happens when there are to ground rods a distance away from each other......it creates a potential

so when it would get the ground wet, the potential electric would flow back up that neutral and cause an overload

so when NEC says only one N to G bond...thats the reason why

if this winter I dont have any more problems...we can call this problem solved
  • t00ls
    Options
    after reading through all the comments again, I do mention that I took the chassis ground off, and disconnected all the wiring and it still produced the F63

what I dont remember if I done or not, is try to get the code to go away and leave things disconnected a while....to which I dont believe I did because that was my only source for electric

I'm thinking maybe the code is residual until  a time goes by and then after that time goes by, it will function normal again.....but I dont know the programming that is in the firmware so I couldnt say

as I said above...so far...after disconnecting that ground bond, clearing the code,  and all the other conditions have been present a few times.....it hasnt offered the code for a while since
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    There are different levels of how XW escalates warnings and faults depending on the issue that is causing the problem.
    Temperature, bad connections or wiring that is wrong can escalate and sometime it takes 3 times for the issue to shut down AC output.
    There is also a time value that keeps track or forgets the warning.
    There also can be multiple faults that are serious enough to shut down AC output.

Sounds like you found your problem. This is really rare unless you really are having an F63AC overload from a huge well pump.
    Schneider still has firmware for this discontinued product on their website. I can't remember if this was an issue but if you download the firmware there is a page that lists all the issues the firmware corrects.

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    Dynametix said:
    I am wondering whether there is a problem with the transfer switch.
    If it were the transfer switch, that would throw out the "welded relay" code, I would think.

F63 is a different failure warning but with older equipment there can be multiple issues. The test of time is a very good test ;)

• t00ls
    Options
    well...that wasnt it either......got really cold and really wet yesterday

same problem as before......kerglunk kerglunk kerglunk....F63 click

so I checked to make sure I only had one neutral ground bond....again......so just one point

I took the covers off ...again.....to see where the noise comes from....I thought maybe those darned asin beetles got in there because its warm......so I started tapping on the power board main terminals....nope...still done it

I got to thinking about a video I just watched, a guy trying to diagnose a BMW can bus issue....mine isnt a xanbus problem, but I got to thinking about the comment I left....about intermittent problems....you have to listen to the customer

in his case the customer was saying after the vehicle got up to temp for a while, the transmission would go into degrade mode

temp...transmission...problem
    so he checked the can bus signal with the transmission module plugged in and unplugged...yup, that was the problem....before then , it had been to several shops that didnt fix it

so my problem
    cold ....wet....F63.....which is overcurrent
    after the power board comes from the batteries, before it goes to the choke and to the coil....the wires goes through......ready for this......a current meter
    so while it was making the noise and creating  a fault, I tapped on it....it quit

so, I figured I would recreate the problem.....I wiggled it and pushed to one side.....starting acting up again.....pushed it back....problem fixed

I havent taken the board off yet to look at the solder connection.....but I almost now bet that when it gets cold and wet, the connection gets broken and causes an over current fault
  • Dave Angelini
    edited November 2019 #38
    Options
    At least you know where to look ;)  I would be dead and buried by now and wife would be prime suspect :open_mouth:

If it is a solder joint, look everywhere on the pcb. Just moving one part often does not mean it is the source. Cold spray and a heat gun can help also. This multiyear old problem would be best solved by finding another xw and making a reliable unit. Close to 10 years on the discontinued list would also be time for a change.