Tigo Rapid Shut Down with SMA

midijeep
midijeep Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭✭
Hi All,
I need to meet the new NEC 2019 code for rapid shut down.
I was wanting to use the Tigo modules for RS, Safety, monitoring and optimization.  I am not sure if this will work with a hybrid grid-tied-battery backup system?  I know the Tigo RS senses the grid and shuts off the PV panels but what about a hybrid system?  If the grid goes down will the Tigo allow the SMA battery backup continue to use the panels or will the panels be cut off when the grid goes down?

Comments

• Ampster
    Ampster Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    I also have a hybrid battery backed system (Outback Skybox) that is not grid tied. I have three Tigo optimizers and have the same question about rapid shutdown. I am looking for a cost effective solution for code compiance. I have a simple solution for the inverter shutdown but I need one for the array (10 ft perimeter rule).
    8 kW Enphase micros AC coupled to a SolArk 12K
  • midijeep
    I contacted  Tigo about the question and they wern't much help.  I sent the question to SMA an I am waiting for some kind of an answer.

Here's Tigo's response:
    "The optimizers cannot choose what needs to be powered/charged.
    That is a feature inside the SMA devices.
    You have to ask to the SMA support what happen on those two devices (sunny boy and sunny island) if the grid is down."

• midijeep
    Answer from SMA regarding SunnyBoy and Sunny Island:

"The answer is yes. The Sunny island will still be able to use the power from the Sunny Boy to charge the battery. In case of a grid failure, Tigo will shut down the PV , but the Sunny Island will create it's micro Grid and the Tigo will stop the shutdown.

Sincerely,
    Your SMA Service Team"

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    midijeep, Have you priced the Sunny Island yet? Granted, they are built like a brick outhouse, but it doesn't come cheap.  Kind of like the Mercedes Benz of the off grid inverter world. If you are shopping around online you should head over to Amazon, just for fun. You can find better pricing elsewhere. The forum host has very competitive pricing.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• midijeep
    I already have a Sunny Island 6048 in place.  I paid about $3,900 for the sunny island.
    I am working on getting the rapid shut down in place before the nice city building code people inform me that they think it would be a good idea to do a RS  or pay the price.
  • Ampster
    edited February 2019 #7
    I posted on another thread that a sales person from our host says that the Tigo RSD devices will work with my  Ouback Skybox. That is a solution that only costs about $400. 
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd run it by the local fire dept or other AHJ.  Just because something "works" doesn't always mean it works for them

It probably does, but...  
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Ampster
    edited February 2019 #9
     Estragon said:
    Personally, I'd run it by the local fire dept or other AHJ.  Just because something "works" doesn't always mean it works for them

It probably does, but...  

I don't think the AHJ or fire department is going to opine about the functionality of Tigo RSD device working with an Outback Skybox. All they care about is when they push the RSD button on the controller is that the system drops to a safe voltage in the required time frame. I think that is what you mean by "works for them"'. That will be easy enough for me to test when I install it and before I call for inspection. I have always had lot of respect for the fire department folks and I am not planning on cutting any corners. I will be purchasing the Tigo system based on the sales person's recommendation and expect them to support it or give me a credit if it doesn't work as represented in writing. If not, I can always go  the more expensive Outback solution. I am not disagreeing with your concept. But I have had more than one building official tell me that they do not do system design or advise which products to use.