DIY 24 VDC Generator

jmb
jmb Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭
I have a new 6 HP gas engine kicking around the shop and the "hair-brained scheme" side of my brain thinks it would be interesting to mate it up to a 40 A 24 VDC alternator to charge my cabin's  24 V AGM battery bank.  I guess the trick will be in getting an alternator that will produce the correct voltage or one that can be "tweaked" to get proper bulk charge voltage.

Has anybody built their own?
Justin B.
Cabin - 9 Mission Solar 310 watt panels, MidNite Solar Combiner, Iron Ridge mounting, 4 Speciaized Power 200 AH 24V LiFePO4 batteries, Samlex PST-1500-24 inverter, MidNite Solar Classic 200SL CC

Barn - 9 Renogy 100W panels, Generic Chinese 40A MPPT CC, 6 Universal 12V 100 AH AGM batteries, Reliable 3KW 12V PSW inverter

Comments

• Wattless
    Wattless Registered Users Posts: 4
    I took that approach for a number of years with a small one cylinder Kubota diesel driving a 75 Amp Prestolite aircraft alternator. I used an exterior Blamar brand regulator to get the voltages where i wanted them for a single bank of Trojan L-16s.
    We had access to lots of waste fuel, so it was an economical way to go at the time. 
    I still have the built up Kubota unit in the scrap pile, its suffering from low compression. I also have 3 of the alternators in storage along with a box of the Balmar controllers. Spare alternators and Balmar controllers are NOS
  • jmb
    jmb Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Could you point me to a source for these parts?
    Justin B.
    Cabin - 9 Mission Solar 310 watt panels, MidNite Solar Combiner, Iron Ridge mounting, 4 Speciaized Power 200 AH 24V LiFePO4 batteries, Samlex PST-1500-24 inverter, MidNite Solar Classic 200SL CC

Barn - 9 Renogy 100W panels, Generic Chinese 40A MPPT CC, 6 Universal 12V 100 AH AGM batteries, Reliable 3KW 12V PSW inverter