Xantrex SW5548, stacking interface cable (SWI)

showme
showme Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Construction #1
I've been searching for a stacking interface cable for the system I'm getting ready to build. I've got 2 new old stock 5548's, but I'm going to need either an SWI or a cable/strap that will work with the system. IF I don't find a cable, is there a place that can make one of these for me that anyone here knows of? Or does anyone here have the knowledge to build one, or does anyone know of a similar type cable that will work? It's a 25 pin plug. I found a picture of the original in a sale from a year ago, so I'll see if I can post it here. Thanks very much for any and all comments, Lee   http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1373/13685773/24823346/414072604.jpg

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."   Goethe

2006 Trace Xantrex power panel, (3) SW5548 inverters- 2 NOS Trace's (1999) and 1 Trace/Xantrex 2006 for back up (came with power panel. et al), Xantrex DC/disconnect, Xantrex AC disconnect/bypass, (3) C40 PWM charge controllers- 2 NOS, one used. (8)Evergreen  Solar 120w (960w),  8k LG Neon 2, (25) 320w, Bergey XL.1 1.5k genny, Air X 400 genny (came with used system), 48v Interstate Workman batts (now frozen/toast), (2) Montana Solar adjustable Top of Pole 12 array racks, (2) Midnite Solar MSPV 4 combiner boxes, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150's (one an SL), SOK LiFePo stack of 500ah and one nice Ozark hilltop to set them all on.

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

showme,

There are probably two different Stacking cables  --  one for Series,   and another for parallel stacking.

Most of us use Series stacking,   for 240 VAC,  if you are in the US,   anyway.

The cable is about 24 inches in length,  with a DB25 Male connector on each end.

IIRC,   someone may have posted a wiring diagram,   here some years ago.

Are you looking to stack two SW 5548s for 240 VAC output?

Will look to see if there has been info on that cable posted here.

If you know of an Solar installer who has been in biz for a long time,   they may have one laying around,   also,  of course,   check on e-bay.

Later,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Vic
    edited November 2018 #3

Wiring diagram for Series Stack cable by RCinFL  -- second Post here:

https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/23437/need-trace-sw-series-4024-stacking-cable-isc-s-975-0059-01-01-rev-a

DB 25 connectors should still be available,   you may have to poke around for the multi-conductor cable.

DB-25 Male connectors,   here:
    https://www.allelectronics.com/item/db-25p/d-sub-connector-25-pin-male/1.html

DB-25 Hood (Back-shell) here:
    https://www.allelectronics.com/item/db-25h/db-25-hood/1.html

The last post in the first Link  has a pointer to a repair service that may be able to help.

Later,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That kinda looks like a DB25 end.  Back in the day, I used to make them up for use with dumb terminals, etc.  They used to be pretty common, and I suspect replacement connectors are still available.

If you know the pinouts, it used to be pretty straightforward to crimp the pins onto the wire and stick them into the holes in the connector in whatever sequence needed.  There are also soldered versions, but I could never manage to consistently get reliable and durable connections.  If it's just a straight up ribbon cable with no funkiness in pinout, there are also connectors that snap onto the ribbon cable with little prongs that pierce the insulation to connect the pins.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Vic

showme,

In case that you do happen to return,   we could be of some help,   should you want to try to build this cable yourself.

BUT,   will not take that time,   now.

Please DO let us all know how you are doing on this.   Good Luck,   Vic

• mcnutt13579
    mcnutt13579 Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to interrupt
    Vic said:

showme,

There are probably two different Stacking cables  --  one for Series,   and another for parallel stacking.

Most of us use Series stacking,   for 240 VAC,  if you are in the US,   anyway.

The cable is about 24 inches in length,  with a DB25 Male connector on each end.

IIRC,   someone may have posted a wiring diagram,   here some years ago.

Are you looking to stack two SW 5548s for 240 VAC output?

Will look to see if there has been info on that cable posted here.

If you know of an Solar installer who has been in biz for a long time,   they may have one laying around,   also,  of course,   check on e-bay.

Later,   Vic

Sorry to interrupt, but tell me more if there is such a thing as a parallel stacking cable.  Specifically we have a customer with (4) 5548s, that is two independent 240v systems and it would be very nice if we could parallel them together.  But also nice to know if somebody could just have a parallel 120v system as well.

Loads and loads of these old SWs still around, best inverter ever made....
  • Vic

Hi mcnutt,

Do not have the manual at the fingertips,   now,   but  IIRC,   seemed that there was a Parallel Stacking cable mentioned in the manual (at least) for the Xantrex SW+ inverters.

Will look in a bit.

YES,  the Trace and Xantrex SW and SW+ inverters are very,  very stout and reliable (knock,  knock on wood).

As you know,  the 5548s  were just BARELY UPS-shippable  --  143 Lbs in the shipping box  --  STOUT.

Later,   Vic

• Vic

mcnutt..,

Using the search term,  "   trace sw inverter parallel stacking   ",   found the following:
    https://www.schneider-electric.com/resources/sites/SCHNEIDER_ELECTRIC/content/live/FAQS/231000/FA231404/en_US/SWI PAR.pdf?_ga=2.118231689.1835592223.1543550598-1289929915.1399845605

This Google search may not be valid for more than a few days,   but  if it has expired,  you could search on that,   or similar term,   yet again.

Later,   FWIW,   Vic

• Vic

Regarding Parallel Stacking of Trace Series II  inverter/chargers,  the following is from the S II Manual:

"  ...   PARALLEL” STACKED OPERATION

The parallel stacking interface allows twice the continuous and surge capacity to be available on a single output circuit from two inverters. The pass-through capacity is also doubled when connected to an AC

source such as a fuel-powered generator or a utility grid. The inverters operate in parallel and split the

loads between them. The inverters must be identical models and must have software revision REV 4.01 or higher software. The inverters must be connected to the same battery bank with equivalent cabling (both in length and in cable size). The inverter negative terminals of the inverters must be connected together either at the inverters or at a location close to the inverters (within 18 inches / 0.5 meters).

The parallel stacking interface cable (SWI/PAR) simply plugs into the stacking port on the left end of each

inverter and allows the two inverters to operate as a single inverter. The interface method is based on the

series stacking system offered for the SW Series inverters since their introduction for the North American

market. The parallel stacking system operates the inverters in phase by having one of the inverters operate as the MASTER and the other as a SLAVE. When an AC source is connected, the MASTER first synchronizes to the AC source, then connects to it and battery charges. Since the SLAVE follows the master and is set-up with a longer warm-up delay, the SLAVE inverter is already synchronized when it transfers the loads and starts battery charging. This allows very smooth transitions from inverter mode to charger mode. The parallel stacking interface system allows doubling of the AC pass through capacity. This is useful when large generators are used. Both inverters will battery charge as allowed by the settings in each of the inverters. The hook-up depends upon the other components included in the system and whether it was ordered as only inverters, a power panel system, or a power module system. With the power module system, the paralleling enclosure is eliminated and all of the wiring is completed for you. With the individual inverters and the power panel system, the paralleling enclosure and parallel stacking interface cable must be

installed on site. The paralleling enclosure is connected to each of the inverters outputs and is also

connected to the AC loads being powered. At this time, the paralleled inverters are intended to operate as a single unit. In case of an inverter fault or error condition, both inverters turn off as one. When the error has been corrected, the inverter will automatically or manually reset depending upon the type of error condition. If an inverter failure occurs, the parallel stacking interface can be manually bypassed and the special parallel stacking interface cable can be removed to allow temporary operation on one unit    "Above under probable Copyright Trace Engineering,   etcSo,   Parallel Stacking of Trace SW  S II  inverters requires a cable,   large transformer,   enclosure,   etc,   NOTjust a cableFWIW,   Vic

• mcnutt13579
    mcnutt13579 Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that seems like it generates more questions than it answers.

What is different about the parallel interface cable from the series?

If they are in parallel, what is a transformer needed for in that box?

And the $64,000 question, can more than 2 of them be sync'ed in series/parallel?  (i.e. 4 inverters)
  • showme
    Meanwhile, I found my old post! Actually, I'm going to run them in series to get the full 8k (or part of it) from my modules. I'm told that running them in parallel gets me 240, but only up to 5k of power. Can't think of anything I'll need 240 for, and if I do i'll use the welder in the shop to do it. The well is going on a dedicated set up. The shop will have left over panels and the Bergey xl.1.5k genny. No electric stove, dryer, or motors. I just want a lot of watts to use.

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."   Goethe

2006 Trace Xantrex power panel, (3) SW5548 inverters- 2 NOS Trace's (1999) and 1 Trace/Xantrex 2006 for back up (came with power panel. et al), Xantrex DC/disconnect, Xantrex AC disconnect/bypass, (3) C40 PWM charge controllers- 2 NOS, one used. (8)Evergreen  Solar 120w (960w),  8k LG Neon 2, (25) 320w, Bergey XL.1 1.5k genny, Air X 400 genny (came with used system), 48v Interstate Workman batts (now frozen/toast), (2) Montana Solar adjustable Top of Pole 12 array racks, (2) Midnite Solar MSPV 4 combiner boxes, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150's (one an SL), SOK LiFePo stack of 500ah and one nice Ozark hilltop to set them all on.

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    showme said:
    Meanwhile, I found my old post! Actually, I'm going to run them in series to get the full 8k (or part of it) from my modules. I'm told that running them in parallel gets me 240, but only up to 5k of power. 

Lee, Just read this old thread and thought I needed to clarify this line. 
    Series stacking will give you 120,240 split phase output. The parallel stack will give you the 8k output at 120 vac.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• showme
    I  if i got that right after re-reading it. Thanks. That will still be good. Not like i'm going to be running a commercial operation or anything like that.