Xantrex SW5548 AC-IN led flashing and inverting for a short time

2»

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

johanmcarcamo,

Thanks for the added info.

SO,   it IS good that the AC1 input transfer relay appears to be working correctly (probably).

Do you know the highest battery voltage that you have seen during Bulk?

Have not downloaded the SW manual,   but have the SW+ manual in the power room.  Will look at that soon,   as these two different inverters are quite similar.

Good luck,   later,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Vic
    edited November 2018 #33

Once again,   you should turn off the Search Mode.   Setting the Search Watts value to 0,   should do this.
    The Search Watts setting should be in the " Inverter Setup " menu 9 in the SW manual,  here.

Search mode only affects the Inverting function,   but could possibly affect some of Inverting behavior that you are seeing.

Will read further in the SW manual.   FWIW,   Vic 

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • johanmcarcamo
    johanmcarcamo Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November 2018 #34
    Hello Vic,
    I will try , but I've already turn off the search mode and start the inverter manually ( ON OPTION ), still getting the same symptom.
    In bulk mode I dont see any change.
  • Vic

OK,   Thanks,   did not see a Search on/off,  but  it is a fairly fat manual,   and prefer hard copy manuals,   when possible.

You do need a Bulk time setting,   and perhaps a Maximum Bulk/EQ time setting (perhaps).

Good luck,   Vic

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018 #36
    Set Inverter
     OFF  SRCH  ON   CHG

This is what the default screen on the inverter shows. from off you get the other three options upon turning on. From page 37 of the manual.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• johanmcarcamo
    edited November 2018 #37
    Hello,
    I have uploaded a video so you can see what happen with the unit , I've already put to 0.0 Search Watts and put to maximum BULK AND EQUALIZER settings
     As you see on the video it just stay in BULK for a couple of seconds.

• Vic
    Hello,
    After making test I could manage to somehow start the unit , I connected the inverter to the AC IN 2 where the generator should be and the output stays on. But now I dont see that the batteries are charging, I will leave the unit on all night to see if it charges.

This are the Measurements I got from the unit:

Battery actual volts dc 49.2
    Inverters Volts AC = 109
    Generator ( AC2) volts AC = 129
    Read Frequency Hertz = 60

I will let you know.

johan,

1.  Looks like the batteries connected to the above unit DO need charging.  Do you have a stand-alone charger that is suitable for your Sealed batteries?

2.  Do not understand why the Inverter AC Volts is not the same as the AC2 Volts,  when the AC2 LED is solid.   When you say that "the output stays on",   does mean that there is AC on the inverter AC output?
    was the Charge LED on,   or the Invert LED?

Why not just stay with using AC2 for the Grid power,   for now.

When the Inverter is inverting,  there should be a fairly loud,    BUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz from the unit.   While the Inverter is qualifying the AC2 input the AC2 LED should be flashing.   When the AC2 LED stays on solid,  you should hear a transfer realy clunk,   do you hear this?

Gotta get back to work,   Vic

• johanmcarcamo
    Vic said:
    Hello,
    After making test I could manage to somehow start the unit , I connected the inverter to the AC IN 2 where the generator should be and the output stays on. But now I dont see that the batteries are charging, I will leave the unit on all night to see if it charges.

This are the Measurements I got from the unit:

Battery actual volts dc 49.2
    Inverters Volts AC = 109
    Generator ( AC2) volts AC = 129
    Read Frequency Hertz = 60

I will let you know.

johan,

1.  Looks like the batteries connected to the above unit DO need charging.  Do you have a stand-alone charger that is suitable for your Sealed batteries?

2.  Do not understand why the Inverter AC Volts is not the same as the AC2 Volts,  when the AC2 LED is solid.   When you say that "the output stays on",   does mean that there is AC on the inverter AC output?
    was the Charge LED on,   or the Invert LED?

Why not just stay with using AC2 for the Grid power,   for now.

When the Inverter is inverting,  there should be a fairly loud,    BUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz from the unit.   While the Inverter is qualifying the AC2 input the AC2 LED should be flashing.   When the AC2 LED stays on solid,  you should hear a transfer realy clunk,   do you hear this?

Gotta get back to work,   Vic

Hello Vic,

1. Yes I have a charger so I will charge the batteries.
    2. Yes when it stays on I have output voltage.
    When the unit is inverting I can hear a clunk and the buzz sound when it passes from inverting to bulk and then I have ac output for a while then it goes back to flashing.

• GimmeSun
    GimmeSun Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
    If I may humbly advise...from your initial conditions described seems you are connecting to GEN input because AC IN 1 (Utility) is somehow defective because you saw a flashing LED...which means there is no utility power sensed. This COULD be because your utility power is out of range at 129V because the setting on AC INPUTS (Menu 11) "SET INPUT UPPER LIMIT VAC" setting is below 129VAC. It defaults to 132 so this maybe be a fruitless investigation But maybe check that out. You access the SETUP menu (and thereafter Menu 11) by simultaneously pressing the RED and GREEN (ON/OFF and GEN) buttons on the 5548.
    IF the AC 1 input is hosed, and you are forced to use AC 2 (GEN) then you'll need to adjust gen settings and treat the GEN as 'always on' by disabling startup times, startup loads, delays etc. Review manual page 49. I don't like giving advice on compromised systems because there are unknown conditions that could endanger you or damage your equipment. Also, be aware of derating schedule. if you are in an uncontrolled locale and it get ~^HOT^~ there, you'll need to be sure to be aware of the derating that the SSW5548 enforces.
    Finally, you can view an online version of the SW5548 manual at the link provided below.
    http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Discontinued-Products/SW2512MC-SW4024MC2UserGuide.pdf