vincent8542 need help with off grid systems

This discussion was created from comments split from: Thank you to the Super Moderators, no really!.

Comments

• vincent8542
    vincent8542 Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I need someone to review my design for a couple of off grid systems that worked fine in the lab but have failed in the field. I am new to this forum but could someone hook me up? Is it proper to give out my email address and other contact info here?
    Please advise.thx
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    We generally don't post personal email addresses for privacy reasons, but you are welcome to do that.

I suggest that you tell us a bit more about the issues and roughly where they are located.

We have a few folks that do solar consulting for a living here that could help.

Or you are welcome to post the information here and get a group discussion going.

I am just a moderator here and I am not in the solar business (just try to be helpful).

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vincent8542
    We are a 501c3 non profit called working for the Son solar, inc
    We repurpose and recycle pv solar modules and components
    We designed, tested and installed two small off grid systems for some poor families in TJ/Ensenada and before i rush back down ahead of schedule to see what the problems are, i thought I would have someone outside our organization review our designs and see if we have miscalculated somehow in the design and equipment...
    I have no problem folks having our info as we are public company/business/non profit and we do need to seek a consultant we can talk to ASAP
    info@workingforthesonsolar.com
    559 392 9831
    Vincent Latham Sr
    Chief cook and Bottle washer
    President
    www.workingforthesinsolar.com

Thank you
    V
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Vincent. Mike here. I bought those 80 Kyocera 12 volt panels from you a few months ago. I'd be happy to chat with you and hopefully work out the problem. I still have your number in my phone. Let me know when would be a good time to call.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    If you want to tell us a bit more about the systems:
    • Battery type/brand/model (i.e., 12 volt, 200 AH * 2 series * 2 parallel, flooded cell)
    • Type and number of solar panels (i.e., Vmp=18 volts, Imp=5 amps, 4x series * 2 parallel strings, 20 degrees from horizontal pointing south)
    • Brand/Model of charge controller (PWM or MPPT, max input voltage, remote battery temperature sensor, etc.)
    • AC inverter (if present) (brand/model/Watts/Tare losses, on 100% of time, switched on when needed, has "standby mode", etc.)
    • Expected power usage (aka 200 Watts peak, 5 hours a night, 1,000 WH per day, etc.)
    • Any method(s) for local person to monitor system (battery monitor, volt meter, hydrometer, etc.)
    • Hours of sun by month season for tilt of array
    • Any buildings, overhead lines, local trees, mountain valleys that limit solar (shading)? Any shading on roof from chimney, vent pipes, etc....
    And what kind of problems are you seeing? System goes dead just after sunset, blown inverter or charge controller, etc.?

My first guess for this type of system (somebody not really familiar with solar/battery systems) is that they simply try to get more energy from the system than it can supply/recharge every day... They just run loads until the batteries go dead, sun comes up next morning, and they run the loads again...

Sincerely,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vincent8542
    BILL OR MIKE PLZ CALL TOMORROW
    ...I'LL GIVE ALL THE SPECS ON EACH SYSTEM...THERE COULD BE MORE THAN ONE PROBLEM BUT IF AT LEAST YOU COULD DOUBLE CHECK OUR DESIGN, trouble shooting will be easier
    Thx
    559 392 9831
  • vincent8542
    System 1
    (4) Ritek 230 watt modules (see back plate screenshot) in parallel
    Renogy Commander 40 amp MPPT
    Renogy 1000 watt inverter
    (2) 12 volt, 250 ah agm GS batteries in parallel
    30 and 65 amp dc midnite solar breakers
    150 amp battery breaker
    Wire from modules to cc and to battery 10gauge