kid charger

ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
Can I use my KID to do an equalize charge on a generic lead acid car battery...??? I mean separate from any solar set up..
just the KID and the car battery...??

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi ws..,

Believe  that you are referring to the MidNite Solar KID MPPT Charge Controller.

The KID will need a source of power,   ideally,  a/some PVs.

Some car batteries may not like an EQ  ...   have never EQed a Low or No Maintenance car battery.  Many/most car batteries are Lead Calcium.

Why do you believe that that battery needs an EQ?

Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is the kid has to be used with pv.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    And, most solar charge controllers... Connect the DC Battery bus to the charge controller first, then connect the solar panels second (switching breakers, etc.).

Connecting the solar panels first can, on some charge controllers, confuse them (auto-select the wrong battery bus voltage, not boot correctly, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018 #5
    Estragon said:
    My understanding is the kid has to be used with pv.

Hi Estragon,

It is generally true that it is best to use most MPPT CCs with PV input sources.

Fairly early in the MidNite KID's evolution,  it was suggested by MN Engineering,   that the KID's Legacy O&P Mode be used with stiff external power sources.

It is now suggested in the KID Manual version 1856,   that the U-SET Voc%  Input be used for Constant Voltage external sources.

From the 1856 manual,  here:
    http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/kid_manual_rev_1856.pdf

It does state on page 36,   to use the U-SET Voc% Input function:

"   ...   U-SET VOC% This is a fully manual mode based on a percentage of VOC. The Kid will sweep based on the user set time in minutes and then park at a user set % of the VOC the Kid found on that sweep. This mode is useful for testing or constant voltage sources. Press Save then press menu back when done. Modes will revert to OFF if the up or down arrows are pressed before exiting.   ...  "
    Portions possibly Copyright 2017 MidNite  Solar.We do still use an external SMPS with the KID here.  Some safety guidelines when using the KID  are,  Use an external power supply with an Shout Circuit max current, less than 30 A,  a power supply output voltage,  not exceeding two times the nominal battery voltage,   etc.   Just my personal opinions.FWIW,  if the OP  has any need of any of the above.     Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Vic - interesting, I hadn't realized Kids had that degree of tweakability.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter