Panasonic VBHN325SA16 mid clamps installation

Hi, 
My solar panels were just installed yesterday and I'm really not a solar panel installer but I noticed the mid clamps looked very weird(at least ugly) to me.
Here is a picture. Can you please tell me what do you think about that?

Thank you

Yannick

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mid clamps don't look that bad. The end clamps are the funky looking ones, in my opinion.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• yguenet
    yguenet Registered Users Posts: 3
    Like this one? Can you elaborate? So it’s expexted to have a bolt so long for the mid clamps ?
  • littleharbor2
    I was referring to the end clamps visible in your first photo. Yes it's odd that some Mfg. design these clamps this way. You could cut the excess threads off if it makes you feel better. I don't suppose you had a good look at this hardware before installation?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The mid clamps bolts are upside down, the wrong hardware may have been ordered. There are often dozens of model numbers for a clamp and it pretty much has to be exact for a panel to clamp and look proper. Nice panels
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• yguenet
    yguenet Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thank you very much for your help. Indeed I didn’t take a look at the hardware and was more focused on the solar panel specifications and the overall design . What I’m trying to confirm is whatever the installer used wrong clamps or not and if one here had experience with other clamps for these panels. So I could go back to the installer.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong,as the mid and end clamps are not the same pattern. The bolt is up on one and the nut is up on the other. This is wrong and the installer should correct it. I do not use that make of clamp for ground mounting. Looks hoaky not to mention the plumbing vent shadow... 
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• littleharbor2
    Most racking hardware is proprietary and not necessarily interchangeable. This isn't the first time I've seen this design. Depending on the size and location of your array, it might be more trouble than it's worth to cut/ swap these clamps.