advice on install

callan
callan Registered Users Posts: 1
we have been struggling  getting heads around this solar system 
we have a 100 watt panel will add more if we ever get it up and running  
we have sunyoba mppt t20 charge controller  these came as kit 
with a windmill the windmill is no use to us we just want the solar side 
so any way we have the charge controller  we have the solar panel wired to the  controlle rw ehave rthe battery wired and alight bulb on the load side   so solar panel to  controller  controller to  battery and a inverter on the battery to plug items in to 
now if no battery  is connected to controlle rthe  screen doesnt light up and say any thing (i was thinking the controller  should lite up as the  panel is getting sunshine to make in to electric ? so question one should a panel  light up the controlle ron its own with no battery connected ?) 
with battery connected it lights up controller  and says as u can see in picture but the panel says 0.0  doesnt matte rwhere i place the panel  or wat buttons im pressing   do i need to set it up and if so how as no instructions  and the ones i got online id need a rocket science degree to understand any of it 

can any one in laymans terms explain what i need to do to make this work   i just want it to run soem lights in my workshop 
the battery we have is a 12volt leisure battery 75ah if that makes any difference to any thing thanks  

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should always make the battery connection first, then the solar panel connection. Many controllers can be used with different battery voltages, and set the voltage based on the battery connection. The panel voltage can vary, so can confuse the controller with no battery.

The display appears to show battery voltage at 12.7v, which is full or nearly so. The inverter should be connected to the battery, with a fuse or breaker on the positive wire. Properly connected, it should provide AC power irrespective of the controller state.

The load terminal on the controller is likely designed for small loads only. A small automotive bulb, for example, or a relay controlling larger loads powered by the inverter.

A single 100w panel may not have a high enough voltage for the type of controller (mppt) you have if the panel is warm and/or connected some distance away or with too small wire. This type is normally used to take higher voltages from series strings and convert down to battery charging voltage. I'm a bit surprised a kit came that way.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Estragon
    http://www.chinasolarregulator.com/user-manual/MPPT-T40.pdf

This appears to be the manual for the range of controllers.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm willing to wager real dollars that this isn't a real MPPT controller. I see nothing in the info to convince me. I once bought a very similar controller doubting it's capability. I was right. Connected a 175 watt 24 volt, 5ish amp panel to it and a 12 volt battery, hoping to get 10 or so amps. Guess what, amps in = amps out, NO MPPT.
     Here's the one I knew was fake 

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And to answer your question, this controller will not operate without a battery. Why are you trying to operate it without a battery?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Estragon
    I suspect you're right about it not being mppt. Probably just as well with a single 100w panel. I don't think OP wants to operate without a battery, just didn't know it has to be hooked up first to boot the controller.
    Off-grid.