Can't get my battery charged

2»

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    When everyone is talking about cycling the batteries. How deep of a discharge are you talking about?

As stated above,   I am saying to 80% SOC several times per week.  And to perhaps 60% SOC on occasion.

Your Dealer may be SPS,  and they are very good.   BUT,  please contact HUP directly,   their Manual begs for users to contact them directly.   They have been at this for a long time.

Also be absolutely certain to follow their guidance in the Battery Manual in measuring and RECORDING in your battery Logbook everything that they ask for.   This will be needed for any Warranty coverage.   AND,  it is very good guidance for monitoring the health of the battery bank.

Have asked some other questions abovel

1.  Where did the Temp Comp value -108 mV/C come from?   Please verify that this is correct with HUP.
     2.  Ask about an EQ Voltage  --  this is implied in the Manual,  but please do ask.

YES,  for whatever reason,   Schneider CCs have a fixed 2% of Capacity as an EA value.  The ONLY way to change the EA,  is to LIE to the CCs about the Capacity of the battery bank,   but this may need to be done.

Later,   FWIW,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That is not true that you can't adjust end amps. It might be a good time to read the manual :)

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017 #34
    That is not true that you can't adjust end amps. It might be a good time to read the manual :)

Dave - I normally defer to you and your expertise, but for the XW-MPPT60-150 (which is what the OP has) the manual is pretty clear that the "exit current" (end amps) is 2% of the AH of the battery bank. There isn't anything in the manual that indicates a way around this.  As @Vic said, I guess you can tell the CC that the capacity of the battery bank is different that it really is, in order to force it to use 2% of a different value, but otherwise I don't see any way. In fact, the manual explicitly says you can disable the exit current threshold by setting the AH of the battery bank to zero. That to me doesn't sound like the manual is instructive in how to change the end amps.

If there is a way, I hope you will share it with us.
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • ColoradoSolar
    ColoradoSolar Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November 2017 #35

I have read the manual many times and if I have missed how to set the end amps without changing the battery bank size I would love to know how.
  • Dave Angelini
    Well it seems clear to me that if you enter a different size it allows you to pick the end amps that you want. There were many service notes on this circa 2006 when it came out. If you search the forum here you will find info.
    Since you guys are all DIY there is less info but Outback also has certain quirks that a pro soon learns. It is the language of the system that one either learns or does not.

2% is a battery industry standard for going to float. Schneider chose this way and to get there and since it is their company....

So if you have 2000 AH bank entered, it will go to float at 40 amps. If you enter in a 1000 AH bank, it will go to float at 20 amps.

For the OP here, as Vic and I have tried to point out. You need to break in these batteries by cycling and not worry so much about the end amps. Do what the battery manufacturer wants. Use them or lose them! Take them down to 50% a few times in the next month and charge them, again what do they want you to do?

• ColoradoSolar
    I am starting to cycle them harder. This being my first new bank I want to make sure I had them setup good before I beat on them too much. I am still trying to learn what I don't know so I wanted to be cautious as to not ruin my expensive batteries.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is it takes 30-60 reasonably deep cycles to get a new L.A. battery up to rated capacity. As Dave suggested, taking down to 50% a few times may actually be good for the bank (as long as it's recharged promptly).
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • ColoradoSolar
    Estragon said:
    My understanding is it takes 30-60 reasonably deep cycles to get a new L.A. battery up to rated capacity. As Dave suggested, taking down to 50% a few times may actually be good for the bank (as long as it's recharged promptly).
    I do have a generator on the system so if solar is not up to the task I can always fire up the generator.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was at the cabin, I'd be doing that every few days anyway - just not enough sun at this time of year for solar alone. Genny in the morning for a couple of hours to get from 50-60% to ~80%, then let solar get to fully charged.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • ColoradoSolar
    So far solar has worked out for me. At 7800ft with bright sunny days and 12kw of panels I have been able to get enough sun to do the job. Granted I the lowest I have taken the bank so far is down to 74% SOC so we will have to see once I take it down to 50%. May need a bit of generator help.
  • Dave Angelini
    You won't have solar charging issues in CO. I have 4 clients and family there offgrid. Hard to beat!  Good Luck! & Enjoy!

• WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    As far as dealing with Conext 1 hr EQs there is an easy workaround that I don't recommend unless you closely monitor the SGs.      My 80-600 controller (and I assume the 60-150) can have the Absorb voltage set as high as 64v.      

So after a good Absorb cycle but before Absorb ends bump up the "Absorb" voltage to your desired EQ voltage.       You may need to extend the Absorb time limit.

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• ColoradoSolar
    As far as dealing with Conext 1 hr EQs there is an easy workaround that I don't recommend unless you closely monitor the SGs.      My 80-600 controller (and I assume the 60-150) can have the Absorb voltage set as high as 64v.      

So after a good Absorb cycle but before Absorb ends bump up the "Absorb" voltage to your desired EQ voltage.       You may need to extend the Absorb time limit.
    Good tip.