MPPT screen is blank

I tried shutting off the power and turning it back on, but nothing.

Totally blank...

What's this mean... other than that it's not working... ?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: MPPT screen is blank

Assuming that the batteries are not "completely dead" (at least of 10-20 volts) and the solar panels/wiring are still OK--your MPPT charge controller has probably died.

If it is still under warranty, it is probably time to talk with your installer or the controller company and get it repaired... There is a possibility that just the LCD screen/electronics have failed and the rest of the unit is still functional--but it you would still want to get it fixed.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

The installer never replied to my emails.

He thought the batteries arrived with no charge... I'm not inclined to trust him any further.

Will the batteries still charge during the day?

It only took an hour or two to chage up my batteries. so they are basically ruined and I don't have the money right now to buy more.

Thanks installer, good grief, what a guy!
  • BB.

No way of telling from here if there is any charging going on or not. Would need a DVM or other meter(s) (and to be on-site) to see what the charger/batteries are doing at this point. And there could be other issues--just too many unknowns.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2

Well, I suppose I'll know soon enough if there's any charging going on. The inverter, like last time, will show.

but if it weren't so cloudy today the real worry would be overcharging.

What a creep that installer was, he tested the batteries, and said they were without charge. How could he get it so wrong?

I hope that I can get the installer I liked, but who's rather far away in NM to come and do this for me. It won't take as long to replace the MPPT and check things out as doing the whole installation, so he may.
  • System2

Well, BZ was really nice to work with.

I never did get any kind or reply from my installer, so I called around and a nice guy came by this afternoon, and a wire had been attached wrong, and caused the MPPT to malfunction.

He said I'm not using enough of my system if the FLOAT is coming on at 9 a.m., which it has been doing.

He says my batteries have about 80% left and he said his company says you can use them to 50%.

So things are better than I thought.

He changed the fuse on my battery monitor... and he said that a few other wires weren't done right. The colors weren't done the way they are supposed to be.

But overall, things are good.

I tried to ask him one other question but I couldn't get it out easily and in the end I forgot. Darn it.
  • BB.

That sounds wonderful Karen. I am very happy to hear that BZ was so nice to work with. Normally, most companies would have "forced" you to work through the installer (since the installer gets a cut of the revenue from the sale of the BZ to provide direct customer support).

-Bill
  • System2

Yes, but I bought my system direct from Gaiam. Otherwise I couldn't have afforded it.

Overall, the sales of systems would be increased if buying through the installer wasn't so costly.

As present the cost is sort of similar to what would be the case if everyone had to buy a Cadillac if they wanted a car...

I expect, hope, that will change in time.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

karen,
    i'm glad to hear that you made some progress with your system. it is a shame that some people do shotty work as that gives a bad rap to the industry in general and discourages good people from further venturing into the renewables area.
  • System2

And then becaues I have a disability it's made to sound as if it was my fault.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you're doing it again as i am not blaming you, but i did place blame on the installer. go reread.
  • System2

I'm just very upset today, even though the news iwth my solar is a great improvement. I could use lights at night agian.

Only it's too cold for the little flourescent bulbs, they don't want to olight the entire way across.

I enjoy my candles and I'm grateful for the heat, and during the day I can boil a lot of water for pots over the candles. You can see some in my avocado page.

I didn't go back to the thread after that. Unless it was the solar guppy thread, which I went to by searching for his posts.