Windseeker 503 24v

denlow1
denlow1 Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭
Here is where I am. Last February a micro burst storm snapped the 3" pipe tower that supported my 503 Southwest Windseeker. Luckily it landed in a pinon pine tree, preventing damage to the generator and blades. Long story short, I just yesterday got a new tilting tower base constructed and installed. I had a local auto electric shop install new bearings in the generator and up it went. Turbine was spinning well until I turned on the circuit breaker between generator and the 24 volt battery bank. The turbine immediately slowed to a crawl, just like twisting the positive and negative down leads together. Have checked proper positive / negative connections. Question 1: could the auto electric shop have crossed up polarity inside the generator?
Question 2: if the polarity was crossed, how much damage to the internal regulator likely occurred?
Anyone have any suggestions or potential electronic replacement parts?
Thanks
frustrated in Arizona
dale

Comments

• mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017 #2
    Can you verify the polarity at the base before closing breaker, while the blades are turning?

Does it use a modified PMA - Permanent Magnet Alternator?
    Typically, the is no "regulator" inside, only the PM rotor, the Stator Coils, a 3-phase diode bridge and Pos / Neg power wires.
    Did you check the PMA for full functionality before raising the pole?
  • denlow1
    denlow1 Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭
    mvas said:
    Can you verify the polarity at the base before closing breaker, while the blades are turning?

Does it use a modified PMA - Permanent Magnet Alternator?
    Typically, the is no "regulator" inside, only the PM rotor, the Stator Coils, a 3-phase diode bridge and Pos / Neg power wires.
    Did you check the PMA for full functionality before raising the pole?

I checked polarity at the base and it shows 22-29 v dc on the red wire.
    I do not know if it uses a modified PMA. Just reading the owners manual it states: "Brushless neodymium permanent magnet alternator with a built in voltage regulator" it also states in the trouble shooting section "Do not connect it through another voltage regulator as it will confuse the Windseeker .....Do Not use a blocking diode in the wiring."
    I have it connected on the battery side of my system (output side of Flex Max PV charge controllers.
    Thanks for your response
    dale