Magum inverter local PC access/monitor

Grey
Grey Registered Users Posts: 6
I have searched high and low, and cannot find much information pertaining to the capabilities
Delivered via the magnum energy "mag web kit"
My application/location will have limited "always on" Internet connection (that's part of being off grid! Magnum)
And I wish to gain access from local PC (via LAN or direct connection to inverter) to the inverter status etc
Note that I have no desire to modify the inverter operation, and in first instance only wish to
Be able to access status, voltage, SOC, energy used et al type of parameters

Background
I heavily utilize the "homeseer" (HS) home automation package with lots if existing sensors and control.
I need to get the inverter data into the HS package (running on local PC on LAN) .... Remote access to
Magnum web site is not viable option

As yet I have not moved "off grid" but I'm in advance planning .... And researching inverter/charge controller
Combinations (however have a preference for the magnum MS PAE (multiple stacked) and midnite classic (multiple) charge controllers) ... In addition to BMK (battery monitor kit) + MEARC (advanced remote control) +
+ mag web (web based Ethernet interface)

from a review of magnum literature - the inverter does NOT even have any auxiliary /relay or similar contacts
Out that can be sensed (my assesment to date is that it's quite poorly equipped for what I'm trying to achieve)

ideally the mag web kit should provide a local web server and/or command structure/protocol for
Local interrogation of parameters via IP addressing .....

looking forward to any magnum inverter owners that have already accomplished or confronted this challenge.

Comments

• SolarMusher
    SolarMusher Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    Re: Magum inverter local PC access/monitor

For parallel Magnum stacking, you will need the ME-RTR (not the ME-ARC) and there are aux relays on it. Paul Plongson could help you more with the Magweb kit, I know he uses one on his system. Try magweb in the search tool here or midnite forum, I didn't remember. I only know that it was working fine using Magnum website.
    Good luck,
    Erik
  • Grey

Thanks for response
    As you correctly point out, the MTR (router) is required for stack operation, and yes
    has a single relay output - that can trigger based on voltage set points - useful but not very extensive
    And certainly cannot provide any useful information about inverter status etc

I will do a further search on the forum for posts from the user you mention,
    I'm sure I'm not the first to confront this challenge of accessing the magnum status etc from locally
    Connected PC/application
  • KeithWHare
    KeithWHare Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Grey wrote: »
    I have searched high and low, and cannot find much information pertaining to the capabilities
    Delivered via the magnum energy "mag web kit"
    My application/location will have limited "always on" Internet connection (that's part of being off grid! Magnum)
    And I wish to gain access from local PC (via LAN or direct connection to inverter) to the inverter status etc
    Note that I have no desire to modify the inverter operation, and in first instance only wish to
    Be able to access status, voltage, SOC, energy used et al type of parameters

The Magnum MagWeb (http://www.magnumenergy.com/products/me-mw-e.htm) streams data from your Magnum to a server you can view from a web site. If the network connection drops, the data doesn't get uploaded. The MagWeb unit does what its description says it will do, but it does not provide local PC access.

I installed a MagWeb unit in conjunction with a MS4024 at a clinic in Haiti. It provided me with useful information while the network connection worked.

Keith
  • Grey

Keith
    Thanks - you confirmed my suspicions
    For off grid with either No, limited and/or infrequent internet access - this is not going to work for me
    (And likely others in similar situation)
    Not sure your comment "data doesn't get uploaded" - does this mean it's lost forever.
    Or only untill next connection and upload?

Not exactly a well thought thru design IMHO

Need to think more on this .... And if magnum is the best choice for what I'm trying to achieve (in my environment)

BR
    Greg
  • KeithWHare
    Grey wrote: »
    Not sure your comment "data doesn't get uploaded" - does this mean it's lost forever.
    Or only untill next connection and upload?

The MagWeb attempts to upload data twice a minute. If the network connection is not available at the upload time, the data packet is lost.

For a continuously connected network, this works. The more intermittent the network, the less benefit.

The biggest advantage of the MagWeb is that it is the only remote monitoring tool I've found for the Magnum inverters.

I would really like to have low power monitor that would accumulate data and allow it to be periodically downloaded to a USB stick.

Keith
  • Grey

Lost data - totally unacceptable

Makes the $ for the mag web kit hard to justify ..
    This really is a very limited architecture/design that lets down an otherwise good product

I'm Guessing that magnum don't release any protocol details on their comms bus (aka keep it closed and proprietary)
    .. So they make you buy an expensive product that doesn't deliver (I don't have an issue with cost if it delivers the functionality)
    Even a breakout box with status relays/logic would be better than .. Nothing? For local monitoring (because we don't all
    Want to stand In Front of the remote MEARC continuously watching it ...)

Am I missing something here?
  • KeithWHare

The MagWeb does exactly what it claims to do, so I don't think it is fair to claim that "they make you buy an expensive product that doesn't deliver". If it doesn't fit your needs, you don't have to buy it.

I think the MagWeb was originally developed by a third party, so it seems like it might be possible to to intercept and interpret Magnum's communication. There is room here for another product with additional capabilities.

Keith
  • Grey

You're Point is well made and taken... However finding out what it can and can't do has been my challenge,
    I very much appreciate you have helped clarify it .... As available documentation doesn't give these clues.
    Eg that if you don't have a connection, the information is lost
  • Differthink
    Differthink Registered Users Posts: 1
    It's Sept. 2017 and Magnum still does not have a way to local monitor it's equipment. I emailed them just yesterday and they emailed me back to say they are working on it. Seems like great inverters but they still do not understand "off the grid", or they need help with the software and would rather spend the time and money on hardware development.
    I'm upgrading my solar system from a 12 year old Xantrex SW4024 (still works great) to a Mag MS4024PAE in a few months. Hope to have all the bells and whistles, but not the Magweb. We do not leave our internet on all the time due to the fact it is a dish pointing to an antenna on a mountain a ways from us. It is to much juice to have on all the time.
    Here is a link to a few guys working on a go around form 2015: http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=2458.0   If you are not good with code or computers this may seem like Greek. The wife and I do work with computers and we intend to give a local monitoring software setup a go when we get the Magnum. I'll write back if we come up with something.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Both Outback and Schneider have had a webportal for years. The Radian and CSW 4024 are similar in price. The bugs are out of both of these systems and they give all the offgrid data you could ask for.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• solarwhiskers
    solarwhiskers Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
    edited June 2021 #12
    At least we are beginning to tackle this issue with a rs485 --> RPi snooper here:  https://github.com/CharlesGodwin/pymagnum

I was also downright embarrassed for magnasine's lack in this area as well when I started to look into the MagWeb infra.  Any "offgrid" manufacturer that develops solutions that require a connection to web2.0 has some fundamental missing communication between engineering and exec, and is not to be trusted (never trust a suit).

Gradually, using the above repository as a nucleation point we can reverse engineer this box and adapt it to a useful frontend that can be hosted on the local LAN with no internet connection.

Logs a pretty decent payload:

# {
    # "datetime": "2019-10-08 12:49:14-04:00",
    # "device": "INVERTER",
    # "data": {
    # "revision": "5.1",
    # "mode": 64,
    # "mode_text": "INVERT",
    # "fault": 0,
    # "fault_text": "None",
    # "vdc": 24.6,
    # "adc": 2,
    # "VACout": 119,
    # "VACin": 0,
    # "invled": 1,
    # "invled_text": "On",
    # "chgled": 0,
    # "chgled_text": "Off",
    # "bat": 17,
    # "tfmr": 36,
    # "fet": 30,
    # "model": 107,
    # "model_text": "MS4024PAE",
    # "stackmode": 0,
    # "stackmode_text": "Stand Alone",
    # "AACin": 0,
    # "AACout": 1,
    # "Hz": 60.0
    # }
    # }
  • KenMorgan
    KenMorgan Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭
    At least we are beginning to tackle this issue with a rs485 --> RPi snooper here:  https://github.com/CharlesGodwin/pymagnum

I was also downright embarrassed for magnasine's lack in this area as well when I started to look into the MagWeb infra.  Any "offgrid" manufacturer that develops solutions that require a connection to web2.0 has some fundamental missing communication between engineering and exec, and is not to be trusted (never trust a suit).

Gradually, using the above repository as a nucleation point we can reverse engineer this box and adapt it to a useful frontend that can be hosted on the local LAN with no internet connection.

Logs a pretty decent payload:

so what type of interface are you using? sorry not quite Amish but close.  ;) 
    30kw LiFePo4 battery bank, 18 JA solar 200 watt panels, 20 sharp 200 watt panels,  morningstar controller(s) and a magnum 4448 inverter with all the usual junk that goes with it.