What is the cheapest way to log solar energy yield on multiple sites?

There are a few locations (over 100 miles away from each other) that I'm thinking about putting a solar power installation, and I'd like to setup a 'monitoring station' with something that would log kwh's for a particular location. Nothing fancy, just one that logs in over all kwhs so I can see over a period of 6-8 months which location averages out better yields.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Remember, there may be as many as 5-9 locations, so I'd like to keep each installation < $100 in cost. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: What is the cheapest way to log solar energy yield on multiple sites?

Scott do a google for "data loggers". pricey... maybe Rodericks Palm pilot (see Grid Tie posting) idea might work for you.
    you will need to log hours of solar interception not Kwh, plus you will need something to 'see' the sunlight...

Crewzer will probably have more info on this.

PS if the locations are all in Ontario I am not sure there will be much difference unless there is a shading issue. Simple solution is to go there and observe for a day in mid winter. that will be the worst time for shadows...

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    westbranch wrote: »
    Scott do a google for "data loggers". pricey... maybe Rodericks Palm pilot (see Grid Tie posting) idea might work for you.
    you will need to log hours of solar interception not Kwh, plus you will need something to 'see' the sunlight...

Crewzer will probably have more info on this.

PS if the locations are all in Ontario I am not sure there will be much difference unless there is a shading issue. Simple solution is to go there and observe for a day in mid winter. that will be the worst time for shadows...

Eric

Hmm, I was thinking after the fact, that you could probably just use a few solar cells tied together and then a meter that measures DC KwHs. Is there such thing?

Also, I've been checking up on various locations both going by 'solar maps' as well as installations of similar nature and there seems to be quite a bit of deviation from location to location. I'm personally investing $10k in a 'test' array, and then following that with about 10-100 times that depending how the financing at the bank goes; but with that being said - I'd rather spend a few bucks now to have it pay off in the future.

I'll google the loggers though. Thanks!
  • System2

w00t! Search and ye-shall-find!

http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/ee476/FinalProjects/s2006/ajk28/ajk28/index.html

Might just build up a few of these - but if not I'm sure I can find some pre-built somewhere.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Most gridtie inverters have data logging for kWhr produced as many rebate programs require this.

The Xantrex GT series has a builtin display that displays lifetime enegry produced
  • System2
    Most gridtie inverters have data logging for kWhr produced as many rebate programs require this.

The Xantrex GT series has a builtin display that displays lifetime enegry produced

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain it properly. I'm not actually installing arrays at these locations, merely testing each potential site. Putting up an inverter and PV cell at each location would be very costly.

I think I've found a method that might fly -but still costs almost $300+ per location. It would be using a PIN Photo diode, hooked up to a mV data logger that can store the yield over a period of 4096 hours. Although it would be hard to project the kwh yield from this, it would allow for me to get an idea of what location has better numbers.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

The is really no need for what your trying to do. The only concern you have is if shade is an issue, that is best done with one of those sun-dome/ path finder thingys.

As for performance, just go with the online data for isonolation .. your not doing anything that hasn't been done 10,000 times.

The Solar related equipment is all know values and as others have pointed out, things like the PVWatts calculators will produce solid numbers. Your greatest variation is the actual weather, which naturally from year to year can have large varations and you have no control on that!
  • GreenerPower
    GreenerPower Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Scot_J wrote: »
    There are a few locations (over 100 miles away from each other) that I'm thinking about putting a solar power installation, and I'd like to setup a 'monitoring station' with something that would log kwh's for a particular location. Nothing fancy, just one that logs in over all kwhs so I can see over a period of 6-8 months which location averages out better yields.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Remember, there may be as many as 5-9 locations, so I'd like to keep each installation < $100 in cost. Thanks in advance!

...I think I've found a method that might fly -but still costs almost $300+ per location. It would be using a PIN Photo diode, hooked up to a mV data logger that can store the yield over a period of 4096 hours. Although it would be hard to project the kwh yield from this, it would allow for me to get an idea of what location has better numbers.
    a small wattage PV, a 50 or 70W "cigarette lighter" inverter, a small wattage light bulb, an old mechanical electric meter from eBay. Wire them up and record the electric meter numbers. You'll be surprised the mechanical electric meter is fairly precise, even with 5-10W load.
    GP