Found Solar Part Thingy

DazedandConfused
DazedandConfused Registered Users Posts: 2
edited July 2017 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
Hello!
I was running along gloriously in the wilderness when I came across this. Seems like the right place to inquire so may I ask: What is it and how much is it worth? If I get a good answer I could track down the owner maybe. Thanks!

Comments

• Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017 #2
    A circuit board from a charge controller. Probably worthless. Definitely burnt out, you can see the burned areas. It may have a couple working components if you are an electrical hobbyist, but if you were, you would have known what it is. :)
    It was probably thrown out and picked up by kids that then lost interest and dropped it again.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    It is probably similar to this unit:

https://www.renogy.com/renogy-20-amp-pwm-duo-battery-solar-charge-controller/

Maybe $70 new. Worth very little of no case and manual.

Might be worth something to the owner... But out of the enclosure on a trail, would be very questionable.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • DazedandConfused
    DazedandConfused Registered Users Posts: 2
    Here's some better pictures, it did not appear to be out for long as it was quite clean when I found it and lying on its back. I do fiddle with electronics but mostly arduino, solar electronics are not my thing. Could get some parts out of it though

5 1/2"
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Oh... BZ Products.

http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/1162/bz-controller

Toss it in the trash (or salvage for parts). Lots of issues. The unit you found was probably built around June of 2004. Not really worth much now (or then).

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset