48 cell 110 watt solar panel question

Options
Skip
Skip Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited June 2017 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
A few years ago I came into 2 Risen Energy SYP110S brand new for next to nothing, the specs for them are: max power 110 watts, open circuit voltage 29.20v, short circuit current 4.99 amps, 23.30 max output voltage, max output current 4.71 amps, I would like to use these panels to charge 2 - 12volt 105AH batteries connected in a 24vdc series. What would be the most effective way to use these panels to charge the batteries? charge controller, MPPT or PWM or 1 panel per battery or ???
24 - 250 watt poly panels, 6000 watt SolarCity H6 Hybrid Grid Tied Inverter Mohave County Az.

Comments

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Skip said:
    A few years ago I came into 2 Risen Energy SYP110S brand new for next to nothing, the specs for them are: max power 110 watts, open circuit voltage 29.20v, short circuit current 4.99 amps, 23.30 max output voltage, max output current 4.71 amps, I would like to use these panels to charge 2 - 12volt 105AH batteries connected in a 24vdc series. What would be the most effective way to use these panels to charge the batteries? charge controller, MPPT or PWM or 1 panel per battery or ???
    Cheap MPPT charge controller.  You can get a cheap one (Renogy for example) for about $120 that will accept up to a 100V input and will charge a 24V battery.
  • Skip
    Options
    Thanks for the info Bill, I will be looking for an MPPT controller, oh 1 question, would it be wise to run the 2 panels in series plugged into the controller?
    24 - 250 watt poly panels, 6000 watt SolarCity H6 Hybrid Grid Tied Inverter Mohave County Az.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You have to connect the panels in series. The voltage isn't high enough to charge a 24v bank if wired in parallel.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Skip said:
    Thanks for the info Bill, I will be looking for an MPPT controller, oh 1 question, would it be wise to run the 2 panels in series plugged into the controller?
    Yes.  48 cells are not enough to charge a 24V system without putting two in series.
  • Skip
    Options
    Thanks Estragon, I had thought that was the way to go.
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You want the voltage as high as you can get it with what you have and that means series wiring.
  • Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I would also choose a MPPT charge controller over a PWM type.