Panel Matching

solar_dave
solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
OK so the panels have been removed from my roof, guess what, one was shattered and 2 have junction box problems (still working).  I think I would like to replace them.  Our sponsor has A 190 watt panel with a VMP of 36.5 and a VOC of 43.8, the current panels are VMP of 35 and a VSC of 44.0.  Close enough match?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Close enough for parallel matching (Vmp).

No need need to connect any in series?

- Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solar_dave
    Yeah so I have 72 panels in 8 strings of 9 panels. Still OK?  If I remember correctly the panels needed to be within 10% on both numbers.

• BB.
    What is the Imp of the two panels.

10% or better much. 5% or better is even nicer.

- Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solar_dave
    Not listed  on the existing :s

This is the panel I am proposing:
    IMP= 5.2 amps
    https://www.solar-electric.com/topoint-jtm-190-72m-solar-module.html
  • BB.
    And your old / existing panel Imp?

- Bill
  • solar_dave
    edited May 2017 #7
    BB. said:
    And your old / existing panel Imp?

- Bill
    Found it!  The damn internet is a wonderful thing. 
    nigbo electric TDB125X125-72-P  http://www.solarhub.com/solarhub_products/4559-TDB125x125-72-P-170W-Ningbo-Solar-Electric-Power
    ISC of existing panels are 5.14.  Would appear to be almost a perfect match.
  • BB.
    Looks good...

-Bill
  • solar_dave
    Drove up to NAWS in Flagstaff and picked up the panels yesterday.  What a bunch of nice helpful guys working there.  BTW It was still damn cold in Flagstaff yesterday while I was wearing shorts! LOL

Got a really nice quote for the materials to convert the swimming pool to DC direct drive and get the pool off the Grid tie.  I figure the added/saved kWh would make a difference with the APS bill so that I could probably pay just the minimum every month of the year and the pool gets much improved filtering as it will run for most of the day instead of just a few hours on AC.  The only caveat is it needs to be a bit bigger than normal to accommodate the DE filter and the in-floor cleaning system.
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    We run our filter for 20 hours a day. Letting it run longer keeps it clear and sparkling. It's salt water though.