Grundfos 11 SQF-2

Farmerboyz1721
Farmerboyz1721 Registered Users Posts: 39 ✭✭
Some questions for the Grundfos 11 SQF-2.

1. Do you have to have the CU-200 control unit? Can you wire straight to the pump and go?

2. If I wanted to control the flow of this pump, IE get 5 GPM instead of 11, can't I just cut the power back by installing half the solar panels? 

Comments

• Anawa
    Anawa Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    I've been operating a 11 SQF for about 4 years. I have a CU-200 control unit and a 101 auxiliary portable generator unit. I do not think you can operate the SQF without the CU-200 as it monitors on-off as well as motor speed according to the available electrical energy.

The gpm is determined by the rotor rotation. I suppose you could "cut-back" on the PV and reduce the gpm, but the gpm will vary according to the amount of energy being received. The rated capacity of the SQF 11 is at the max output, but that does not mean you'll be getting 11 gpm all the time. 

Are you wanting max 5 gpm or a "steady" gpm?

Paul 
    in Georgia

System 1: PV- 410w Evergreen, Mppt- Blue Sky Solar Boost, Batt - 225ah Deka AGM, 12v led house lighting,
    System 2: PV- 215w Kyocera, PWM - Morningstar PS30, Batt- 225ah Deka GC's, 12v led house lighting, Dankoff 12v water pump,
    System 3: PV- 1.5kw Kyocera, Grundfos 11 SQF well pump, 3000 gal above ground water storage, dom water & irrigation,
    System 4: PV- 6.1kw Kyocera, Mppt- Outback FM80-2ea, Inverter- Outback FX3648-2ea, Batt- 804ah GB traction, Grundfos BMQE booster pump 240v, Mitsibushi mini-splits 240v, 18k and 15k
  • Farmerboyz1721
    Right now a 'steady' stream of 5 GPM will meet my demand. (Stored in a 1,700-gallon tank) As I develop my Homestead I forsee my demand going up. So, I want to the ability to max out my well capacity in the future. My logic was to buy the 11 SQF and operate it at a lower power input for now. Then, be able to increase the amount of panels on it when my demand increase. ( year or two down the road)
  • Anawa
    Sounds like a plan and makes sense to me. You may want to "over panel" somewhat on your initial install to ensure you keep your tank adequately topped-off. Keeping in mind that the "pump-don't-pump" on those cloudy days. FWIW, my 11 SQF runs at max output on the 1.5 kW PV (215w X 7) and will completely fill my two 1,500 gal tanks in about 6 hours. You may get by with less overall wattage for your application, I opted for reliability since the pump can handle the load. My pump is about 450 LF from the controller/panel install and I was not sure how efficient the pump would run at that distance.

Something you may want to consider is to install a flow meter at the well head to monitor both the flow rate and the overall output. Hopefully, this is something that will fit within your budget. 

I would suggest, however, that you verify your incremental install plan with a Grundfos rep just to be on the safe side.

Good Luck!
    Paul 
    in Georgia

System 1: PV- 410w Evergreen, Mppt- Blue Sky Solar Boost, Batt - 225ah Deka AGM, 12v led house lighting,
    System 2: PV- 215w Kyocera, PWM - Morningstar PS30, Batt- 225ah Deka GC's, 12v led house lighting, Dankoff 12v water pump,
    System 3: PV- 1.5kw Kyocera, Grundfos 11 SQF well pump, 3000 gal above ground water storage, dom water & irrigation,
    System 4: PV- 6.1kw Kyocera, Mppt- Outback FM80-2ea, Inverter- Outback FX3648-2ea, Batt- 804ah GB traction, Grundfos BMQE booster pump 240v, Mitsibushi mini-splits 240v, 18k and 15k
  • Farmerboyz1721
    edited April 2017 #5
    Thank you for the feedback. I just got off the phone with Grundfos and they confirmed my plan. I was thinking of a flow meter as well, so I have added that to my plan. Luckily my panels will be fairly close to my well head. 

What's your static water level and total feet of head? 

• Anawa
    It's been awhile since I've looked at the data, but I think the static water level was about 20', the pump is set down at 185', and the tanks top out about another 60-70'. My well recharge is approximately 18 gpm with the primary water vein found at 145'. I think.
    Paul 
    in Georgia

• Grundfoslover
    Grundfoslover Registered Users Posts: 3
    I have been using a 11 SQF for 10 years recently adding more panels to get more water as needed after starting with the Grundfos recommended six MSX 64 watt then recently a few Renogy 80 watt panels.  Limited to near 60 watts panels due to amp limits but not voltage which is now up to 140 volts dc going from the original 5 gpm to 7 gpm.  Well production limit is 9 gpm so no need to add more panels since I don't want to suck air.  So answer to your question is YES!
  • Grundfoslover
    Grundfoslover Registered Users Posts: 3
    In addition, if useful to others, I never turn it off laying the solar panels flat since it is for agricultural purposes here in So. Cal. where it rains in the winter not needing much well water.  Summer is when plants need water the most and when the sun is overhead. storing the water in a 10,000 gal. tank with an overflow which I move around to water my trees on drip.  Sometimes I use simple faucet timers or just water a lot when I want too.  Overflow on tank only siphons off top 2,000 gal. leaving 8,000 gal. in reserve.  No maintenance other than cleaning panels.  Expensive Grundfos pump with only a on/off switch controller that also allows me to plug in a 110 volt generator that is too much power sucking air so I don't use it.  Worth the That's all. 
  • geosierranevada
    geosierranevada Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭✭
    Farmerboyz1721
    You do not need cu 200 control unit. Plug it into 110 ac or hook up straight to solar panels.

George.            Have a nice day
    Off grid for 20 years. 5KW panels, Trace sw4024, Bergy XL1 wind generator, 3 EG4 Lifep04 200amphr batteries  3 SQF 2 well pump, 12kw back up gen.  Not easy living in the wilderness but it keeps you busy