noise/vibration from Whisper 100

sandtaz
sandtaz Registered Users Posts: 3
I have a Whisper 100 on a 30' tower that is making noise/vibrates at medium wind speeds. The sound is like a buzzing bee. It can be heard inside the house which is 100+ feet away from the tower. I thought it might be the guy wires but tightening them did not change anything. I can see a slight vibration in the tail but this appears to be at all wind speeds. I did have a hawk kill recently. Could the blades be damaged? Thanks for all your help. 

Comments

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the blades could be damaged. One more reason why I would prefer solar panels over any type of wind generator. Just more to go wrong.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • sandtaz
    sandtaz Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response. The wind generator is in addition to approx 2000 watts of solar along with a 12KW diesel generator for backup. Here in southern Arizona, I get many very good solar days but there are times when it is nice to have the wind generator kick in and provide additional power to charge the batteries after the sun goes down. We have been totally off grid for 20+ years (no commercial power available) and do not have any problem running our entire 4800 SF home. Thanks again for your response and look forward to some other input.   
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    You will have better luck with wind where you are located as you shouldn't have to deal with freezing temperatures. Ice on the blades could really throw things out of balance. It must be nice to live full time off the grid. Hoping you don't have to run that generator very often. I have a cottage on an island with a lighthouse. They used to run diesels 24/7there  for about 9 months of the year.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.