Offshore Helideck PV installation

I need advise on an oil platform pv installation to power telemetry and small loads. Particularly,  do I need specially designed solar panels with respect to IP rating or is the standard panels available suitable for an oil & gas Zone 2 hazardous area?
My second question is if there is any difference either due to efficiency or standards between connecting cc directly to the batteries in the battery room or 'travelling ' to the DC bus located in the equipment room?
Many thanks. 
Abuja, Central Nigeria: 5.8kWp, 63kWh Storage, DC Lighting, Grundfos SQFlex. Off-grid since 2013.

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know about the first question.

On the second, a (mppt) cc normally takes higher voltage low current power from a remote pv array and converts down to lower voltage higher current for batteries. Higher current needs bigger wire, so it's normally best to put cc close to batteries.

If the loads are to be powered by an AC inverter, they can be quite remote from the batteries. If they're low voltage DC though you would want to locate them fairly close as well to avoid voltage drop.

These are generalities. Your specific situation may call for something different. It would help to know power requirements of loads and rough distances involved.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter