can I remote start a Generac 8kw that has an Evolution Controller?

Options
I have a new Generac Guardian model 6237 Guardian generator and an Outback FlexPower One system with AGS (automatic genrator start). I would like to use the FlexNet DC relay contacts to use the AGS of the Outback when my batteries are low, but I can't figure out how to hook them (the relay contacts) up to the generator. Any ideas?

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: can I remote start a Generac 8kw that has an Evolution Controller?

The best way is to convert it to 2-wire start. You disconnect N1/N2 wires and instead connect 2-wire start. You also need to re-program it. The only missing part is that I don't know where to connect the wires. We had a document from Generac about connecting wires with Nexus controller, but not with Evolution. If you find it, post a link here.

Alternatively, you will need to buy a Normally Closed (NC) relay and connect your AGS to this relay. You wire this relay to interrupt one of the N1 or N2 wires. When your AGS wants to start the generator, it'll operate the relay and open the relay contact. This will interrupt N1 or N2 and make generator think that there's a power outage, so it'll start. The drawback to this method is that if the inverter fails, AC is lost and generator will run.

Do not forget to plug T1 wire to the output of the inverter, so that the generator battery could be properly maintained.
  • Icicle
    Icicle Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    The best way is to convert it to 2-wire start. You disconnect N1/N2 wires and instead connect 2-wire start. You also need to re-program it. The only missing part is that I don't know where to connect the wires. We had a document from Generac about connecting wires with Nexus controller, but not with Evolution. If you find it, post a link here.

Alternatively, you will need to buy a Normally Closed (NC) relay and connect your AGS to this relay. You wire this relay to interrupt one of the N1 or N2 wires. When your AGS wants to start the generator, it'll operate the relay and open the relay contact. This will interrupt N1 or N2 and make generator think that there's a power outage, so it'll start. The drawback to this method is that if the inverter fails, AC is lost and generator will run.

Do not forget to plug T1 wire to the output of the inverter, so that the generator battery could be properly maintained.
    Thanks. I read about that, but hadn't considered the consequence of an inverter failure. BTW, just to confirm, you believe the generator will sense a partial power failure and start?
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    Icicle wrote: »
    Thanks. I read about that, but hadn't considered the consequence of an inverter failure. BTW, just to confirm, you believe the generator will sense a partial power failure and start?

If by partial power failure you mean only N1 or N2 interrupted, but not both, then yes, at least with Nexus.

However, I converted mine to 2-wire start.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome Icicle, glad to see you made it over here from the other forum.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • rman
    rman Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options

I have been trying to puzzle through this myself and I had decided to use a 14/2 wire to power N1, N2 and T1 and then break one leg to cause an autostart while leaving the other leg and T1 live all the time. I was getting ready to do this when I searched the Magnum site and found a wiring diagram for a Generac with the evolution controller. According to this the controller requires two tails to be added to the multi pin connectors and then the unit can be started remotely by the ME auto start module using only one of the relays in the unit. The evolution has to be reprogrammed for a two wire start but it greatly simplifies the hardware needed. http://magnumenergy.com/Literature/Gen%20Wiring%20Diagrams/Generac/ME-AGS-N%20(Generac%20Home%20Standby%20Generators%20with%20Evolution%20Controller%20(2013%20and%20later))%20Rev%2011-13-2013.pdf Now I have to find out if the Generac has the new evolution controller or the older nexus.
  • Out There
    Out There Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey guys!
    I've been trying to convert my Guardian 8kw to a two wire start, but ran into a problem and I hope you can help to steer me in the right direction. I located the thread which contained the instructions on the 2 wire conversion and printed off the instructions to take home with me. My controller (Nexus?) does not have a connector like any of the three described (I think there's a 23 pin, a 5 pin and another). Mine is a 16 pin (if I remember correctly) with 5 wires actually going into it. There's a second connector with 4 wires.
    I can (locally) break the red wire running to the starter solenoid, which will stop and start (when reconnected) the genset, provided I leave the switch set to "Manual". When I tried to run a two-wire set up (two conductor #16 multi-strand) back to my inverter room (about 50-60 feet away) as an extension of this, the resistance in that length of wire would not allow the generator to start and, instead, I got an error light ("RPM sensor Loss").
    The wire was a difficult pull through 1-1/4" buried conduit, but is intact. I do not have the transfer switch wired in, and am unsure of how to "program" the set.
    Brian
  • michael k
    michael k Registered Users Posts: 6
    Options
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    You wire this relay to interrupt one of the N1 or N2 wires.
    I'm thinking this is the best way to go . . . because with Generac's "2 wire start" enabled the transfer switch's loss of grid power detecting Auto start function is DISABLED, does not work AT ALL! As it is upon sudden grid loss -> Outback transfers to invert immediately while Guardian starts and warms up then, upon switching to gen power (with a loud SNAP), inverter detects new AC source (blinking) until actually needed for charging (or whatever).

Being 'offgrid' model it likes, connects to gen power happily!

Above test conducted in current HBX mode but problem still remains -> how about loss of grid on sunny days? How to shut gen down if grid power non-existant? NC relay contact (assuming from grid) would supply NADA with Outback being 120V only? The way I have my system setup all subpanel grid/gen transfer switch power passes thru Outback switch which, in turn, sole supplies Main house panel power (100%).

Possible solution -> step up Outback output with X240 (or similar, smaller 'cause don't really need 240V) and use manual bypass to power N1 via either GRID or OUTBACK? And can I have it BOTH WAYS? An X240 wired to both step up Outback AND balance power from gen/street (do I even need this? not same time of course!)
  • systemdefect
    systemdefect Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a Generac 6561 7kw and I can start it by interrupting N1 or N2 with a relay but How do you Shut it off?