Solar Panel Deterioration

Hi

I have a dispute with my insurer who states that the damage to my solar panels is due to deterioration rather than wind load damage (very severe winds at the time). The damage occurred at the very same time to 3 panels, two on one array made by Kyocera, with the third on a different array and made by a different manufacturer. The two Kyocera panels were only 6 years old whilst the other panel was approximately 10 years old. It seems strange to me that all 3 panels developed deterioration at the same time!! What are the signs of deterioration? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    There were some Kyocera 120-140 watt panels that have been replaced under warranty (older than yours? ).

Check with the panel retailer or manufacturer and see if they will cover it.

Look for stains under the glass, cracked cells, or lifted traces.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the VISIBLE signs? Are they just putting out less than rated power and if so describe the reduced output.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• jeshuron
    jeshuron Registered Users Posts: 4
    littleharbor2

Thanks for your response. Crazing to the panels, but appears to be interior rather than exterior, as when one runs ones fingers over the glass it appears OK. No loss of output.

Your comments would be appreciated.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like it could be some form of delamination of the clear encapsulant possibly caused by flexing in the wind. Was it very cold during this wind event?  A picture or two would help.

I have seen lots of panels with minor encapsulant issues visible in the field under the glass. If there isn't any water/air intrusion into the cells and tabbing it may not have any affect on output.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Arth777
    Arth777 Registered Users Posts: 2
    I had two issue panels just like yours, and closely inspected found lightning strike and caused a small hole on each panel.