New Primus Air 30, spinning slowly

Options
offgridmojo
offgridmojo Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
Hello all;

Before I go tearing everything down to find a short in the wires, I wanted to ask a few questions in the hopes that you more experienced wind folk might be able to help and clear some things up.

We received a new Primus Air 30 last week, mounted it on a 25' tower and have the wires running about 125' into the electrical building and connected to the bus on the DC side of our Outback Flexware system.

Two questions really, the first being that when we had the positive line connected to the bus I checked the voltage on the negative side of the turbine wiring and was reading my battery voltage before I connected it. Is this normal for a wind turbine?

Second question is, last night was the first night we had wind, and that Air 30 doesn't even budge until about 12mph winds, where it slowly begins to move, and at about 17 to 18mph it was moving at I would 50 rpms if I had to guess. To me, this seems awful slow, as if it is either shorted or malfunctioning.

This afternoon, I went ahead and opened the circuit (from within the electrical building), and it had no effect on the turbine. at 12 mph it would barely begin to move.

The light on the bottom of the Air 30, (So I was told, I was in the building), turned on for a few seconds, then off, then back on for a few more seconds then off. From the manual that appears correct.

I called Primus this morning, but they aren't answering their phones and not quick to return calls from voicemail, so I was hoping someone hear had some advice, before I go taking everything down out in the snow and ice.

Thank you much!

~Loyal.
Tagged:

Comments

• offgridmojo
    offgridmojo Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options
    Update!

I spoke with Primus, they answered my questions and said everything sounded normal, but wanted me to monitor it for a bit longer to see if there was any type of circuit failure.

While waiting and checking every now and then for the status lights to blink, the wind started to pick up.

We have some nice 20 to 25mph winds coming through, and it suddenly faced into the wind, spun up and is whirring quite impressively, with its charge light on.

Possibly it had some ice build up, or maybe it needed to loosen up from being new, not sure, but it is working great.

~Loyal.
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How much power does it actually produce?

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017 #4
    Options
    Hello all;

Before I go tearing everything down to find a short in the wires, I wanted to ask a few questions in the hopes that you more experienced wind folk might be able to help and clear some things up.

We received a new Primus Air 30 last week, mounted it on a 25' tower and have the wires running about 125' into the electrical building and connected to the bus on the DC side of our Outback Flexware system.

Two questions really, the first being that when we had the positive line connected to the bus I checked the voltage on the negative side of the turbine wiring and was reading my battery voltage before I connected it. Is this normal for a wind turbine?

Second question is, last night was the first night we had wind, and that Air 30 doesn't even budge until about 12mph winds, where it slowly begins to move, and at about 17 to 18mph it was moving at I would 50 rpms if I had to guess. To me, this seems awful slow, as if it is either shorted or malfunctioning.

This afternoon, I went ahead and opened the circuit (from within the electrical building), and it had no effect on the turbine. at 12 mph it would barely begin to move.

The light on the bottom of the Air 30, (So I was told, I was in the building), turned on for a few seconds, then off, then back on for a few more seconds then off. From the manual that appears correct.

I called Primus this morning, but they aren't answering their phones and not quick to return calls from voicemail, so I was hoping someone hear had some advice, before I go taking everything down out in the snow and ice.

Thank you much!

~Loyal.
    Startup Wind Speed = 8 mph
    Optimum Wind Speed = 25 - 32 mph 

I would not expect much power at 12 mph
    What is the average wind speed in your city? 
    My average wind speed is only 10 mph, so no wind turbine for me.

Even with a 25' high tower, the wind is still quite turbulent at that height - not laminar flow.

• mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017 #5
    Options
    oil pan 4 said:
    How much power does it actually produce?
    They claim 42 watts with 13 mph winds.
    Let see how many watts offgridmojo actually measures in the real world.