Sharing a breaker box for 2 separate circuits for 2 inverters

Options
I am totally off-grid and am adding dedicated outlets throughout the house for two inverters, so 2 separate strings of outlets.

I've purchased two outdoor INLETs in order to plug in extension cords from either a generator or the inverters into these INLETs which will be on the outside of the house. This is an interim step. I will eventually be building a shed and running these wires underground to the shed and then hardwired to the inverters.

When I was at Home Depot the guy there said I should use 2 separate breaker boxes, so I purchased 2 of them. These breaker boxes can accommodate 2 breakers, but I only need one breaker per circuit and inverter. Can I use one breaker box for both circuits going to the 2 separate inlets or do I in fact need to keep them separated in their own breaker box? I was thinking of combining them in one box and then was wondering about the neutral bar since it is one running bar.

Thanks for any input.

Teri

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    How many amps do you plan?
    Is this a 120/240 VAC split phase or a simple 120 VAC circuit?

Remember that breakers are there to protect down stream wiring. And, when using AC outlets, you do not feed a 40 amp breaker+wiring to a 15 amp rated outlet.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dennis461
    dennis461 Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017 #3
    Options
    Take one back to Home Depot...
    Here is a link describing breaker sizing for a panel-board with utility tie in and two Inverters.  NEC does not require separate panel-boards for either multiple Inverters or split circuits.  It may be easier with 2 but not required.  How do you plan to 'split' the output circuits? Is the inverter output connected in the same panelboard?
    Give us a sketch please.
    Camden County, NJ, USA
    19 SW285 panels
    SE5000 inverter
    grid tied
  • iabteri
    iabteri Solar Expert Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Options
    I’ve been running a solar system for a number of years now, all installed on a 32’ RV (4 solar panels, 8 golf cart batteries) and then run into the house with extension cords. Not a great setup at all, so this is yet another interim setup.

Bill, you may remember you helped me with an issue of a new box freezer and fridge causing my computer to shut down when they started up, so I added a dedicated Sure-sine 300-watt inverter for my computer system, TV, lights, etc. I love that little inverter. It draws such a small amount of energy when only the wireless hub is on. Thanks again for helping me on that issue.

My other inverter is a 1012 Magnum, so only 1000 watts. I only use it for the fridge and freezer.

Dennis, these are both 120 VAC circuits. There was no link in your post. Can you please leave the link and I'll check it out?

I wired the outlets with 12/2 romex and have two 20 amp breakers. I installed 16 outlets for the 300 watt inverter and will be installing 3 outlets for the 1000 watt inverter. I know my limits over here, and will never go over the limits of the inverters. I use very little energy, probably never even hit 100 watts on that Sure-sine.

After I finish this up, I’ll be hardwiring the main electrical panel which is in fact a 120/240 VAC. My water pump is 240. I purchased a Reliance PB30 Inlet box to handle my 6000 watt generator, so for now I will only be using the generator to bring power into the already installed main house panel to run the washer and dryer or whatever else that is too large for the two inverters. Right now I am running extension cords from the 6000 watt generator to run the washer and dryer. So sick of extension cords.

Dennis what do you mean by how do I plan to ‘split’ the output circuits. I have the outlets wired separately for each circuit, so the final outlet of the 16 outlets will go into a 20 amp breaker for the 300 watt inverter and the final outlet for the 3 outlets will connect to the additional 20 amp breaker for the 1000 watt inverter.

I'm assuming I put the breaker between the inside outlets and the outside inlet, correct?

My concern was the neutral bar in the breaker box. Since it is one running bar do the circuits somehow get combined? Probably a dumb question, but I learn by reading and asking questions on how to do this stuff, just want to be clear before I begin the final wiring.

I did test the wiring after I had the first 7 outlets installed by putting a plug on the end of the last wire and then plugged it into a gennie and everything worked well. I do feel confident that the rest of the outlets are wired correctly so plan to proceed to completion at this point.

Thanks.

Teri