MPPT question

13»

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: MPPT question

I think from a confience view point, you should try and continue with the project. I think you will find the switch in the wrong setting, you can correct it and reconnect the meter wire and you will have a new level of satisfaction in regards to your system. Once the meter is actually doing something you might find it bar-graph easy to use that remembering numbers. You can always disconnect again ..

Good luck!
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    I think from a confience view point, you should try and continue with the project. I think you will find the switch in the wrong setting, you can correct it and reconnect the meter wire and you will have a new level of satisfaction in regards to your system. Once the meter is actually doing something you might find it bar-graph easy to use that remembering numbers. You can always disconnect again ..

Good luck!

Yes, I think you're right.

I'll go back to the manual, but I don't think there was a picture... on the other hand... I forget so much.

I'll do this tomorrow, when there's more light to see the switches.

And, yes... I think you're right about it being easier. Right now, even though I just looked less than a minute ago, I can't remember which numbers relate to which percentages...

The first step was pretty easy, so I think I can do this next one. :)

Thank you.

I am going to be happy when it works, I can feel it. You're right! new level of satisfaction. :)
  • System2

Okay... I forget who thought my MPPT thing adds several amps... it adds about one amp over what is being recorded as coming in from the panels.

Resetting it didn't make any difference.

I think it was pretty shoddy of the installer to be so late and to put the array in partial shade... He wasn't paying attention and that's cost me a lot of energy for the winter.

And, what is that grey wire from the middle of the bottom of my MPPT that does down and then just hangs there with it's end taped?

What is it for and why is it there if it's not to be connected to something and used?

http://www.health-boundaries-bite.com/Solar.html
  • System2

Good luck!

You know, you were right. I felt so good today to have the battery monitor working. It was just great. (I didn't do it, a fellow who came in to mend the MPPT fixed it, and yes, it was set wrong.)

Thank you so much for all your help.

I appreciate it, still.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

At the risk of opening this thread up AGAIN! I may have part of the solution.

I think that the basic problem lies with the poor performance of the BZ MPPT controller. In testing the BZ that Phil S. sned me, i discovered that it goes into float mode when the battery is no where near charged.

I don't have proper test equipment here to give real details, but the static generic car battery was showing ~12.3 volts before I started playing around. Applying voltage to the controller, and with the sun full out, (5.7amps@12vdc) the indicated battery voltage jumped to ~14 volts. Within 5 minutes the float light came on and the amperage dropped to .5-1.5 amps!

Now without being able to do other tests , I'm pretty sure that the battery COULDN'T be fully charged after a few minutes. Taking the leads off the battery revealed a voltage of ~12.5.

So I think ONE of the problems with "Consider this"'s system is that the controller never allows the battery to get fully charged. I know that Solar Guppy and others have done other tests on the BZ and found it woefully poorly designed.

Icarus

PS I post this on the BZ controller thread as well just to inform.