Coming back again, 12 v Toy hauler solar build

2»

Comments

• Nvreloader
    Nvreloader Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Thanks guys,

Seeing that I have the MS MPPT 60a CC for charging the batteries already,
    Do I need a inverter that is both an inverter and battery charger ???

I had planned on leaving the OEM installed PD 9260c charger,
     as a stand alone backup system, when needed.

I will look at a 1500w inverter, along with a smaller 300w inverter, to round out my total package etc.

For the big 1500w inverter, (for Microwave/coffee maker use),
    I will also get a remote face to shut it off, and to check what is going on with the inverter etc,
    instead of getting down on the hands and knees to reach inside the electronic bay every time,
    I need to use it etc.  

Tia,
    Don
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Don, try to start with a clean slate...simply stated:
    1. the charge controller charges the battery from the SUN!...
    2. the charger charges the battery from shore power or Gen... (or even the units alternator)
    3.the inverter takes DC power from the battery and makes AC.... for appliances, etc...
    4. an inverter/charger does both 2 & 3 in one unit
    5 as you are mobile, redundant replication is a good thing it could be any combination of 2,3 & 4 or all depending on your risk aversion level...

those are your decisions at this time..

ps for example as of the 24th..I now have 4 generators and 2 quads. each for a different use.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Nvreloader
    WB

Thank you for that concise info,
    That explains a lot to me,
    I will have to look at inverter charger combos, now.

I too have 2 different gen sets and and 2 different ATV's.  :)  LoL.

Tia,
    Don
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 2000w MSW inverter on my boat. Small microwave takes about twice as long to heat with inverter vs shore power. I don't know how square wave interacts with power factor on the nuke (do they normally PF correct them?) or harmonics but suspect there are lots of losses. If I was to replace the inverter I'd seriously consider a pure sine wave. 1500 watt MSW inverter will run the coffeemaker fine, but maybe not the microwave.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Nvreloader
    edited January 2017 #36
    Thanks Guys

I have the PD 9260c DC converter, from the past use of this OEM charger,
    I have my doubts about this charger to reliably charge the new 4-6v 220a battery bank,
    as it has a very hard time recharging the 2-90w Deep cycle tongue battery's,
    but I am NOT sure I am using it correctly, with the Wizard attachment etc.

I have been looking at the Magnum 2012 PS, 2000w, 2012  inverter/charger,
    for the new battery rack, as the main inverter/charger for my set up etc.

Question,
    Since I also have the MS MPPT 60a solar CC for charging the new battery bank,
    there should be, no problems using the Mag 2012 inverter/charger in my new system?

I am NOT sure how these 2 pc's of equipment (MS MPPT/Magnum) will work together etc.
    Please remember that this is a 110% Boon Docking setup only, that will never see a CG again.  :)
    I do NOT know how they will interact with each other etc.

Tia,
    Don

• Estragon
    edited January 2017 #37
    Not sure what you mean by "work together". In terms of charging you would normally use the generator and inverter/charger when there is little sun to bulk charge the battery bank to a reasonably full charge - say 85% or so. When the voltage reaches the absorb setpoint at about 85% full, current will taper off as the bank charges to full, so you would want to shut off generator to save fuel. Depending on time of day and the weather, the solar controller may be able to finish up the charge. In that sense they should work together just fine.

It can be convenient to have inverter and controller from the same manufacturer for things like shared remote display/logging/programming devices though.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Nvreloader
    edited January 2017 #38
    Guys,

The big concern I have, is that I DO NOT know all the fine points like you guys know.
    I would hate to buy expensive equipment only to find out, (only the Mag 2012 charger/invertor left to buy),
    that this or that piece of equipment will not run/work correctly with what ever other piece of equipment,
    in this complete total package etc.

Or find the 440a battery setup is TOO much for whatever OTHER piece of equipment,
    in this solar/inverter/charger setup etc, or come back to camp and find a burnt pile of TH etc.
    That would SUCK........ and the better half bent out of shape forever.

My solar setup is, as it stands now is, 
    MS MPPT 60a CC, with 920w & 440a of battery storeage, for a 110% winter use Boondocking package,
    and to also run the 1000w Micro Wave and 1250w coffee maker, only using 
    the Mag 2012 DC/AC invertor/charger,
    and have  the solar setup to replace the approx 140 ah of daily/nightly use, and to only run the 4000w gen set IF NEEDED,
    for the storm/bad weather days to supplement what the solar is not able to provide for the required for nightly use etc.

I plan on using Buss bar/boxes for attachment of ALL wiring, to make it simple for me to work with,
    if this works for my setup.  ALL wiring will be sized to have less than 1-2% loss for this setup, for ALL equipment used.

I have the OEM installed PD 9260c 60a DC converter/charger only, from the past use of this charger,
    I have my doubts about this charger to reliably charge the new 4-6v, 440a battery bank,
    (reason for the Mag 2012 DC/AC charger/invertor), 
    but it seems to have a very hard time recharging the 2-90w Deep cycle tongue battery's,
    but I am NOT sure, I am using it correctly, with the Wizard attachment etc.

I think the main reason this OEM PD charger is not working very well, is because of the OEM installed wiring,
    #10 size wire with a run of 21+' to the 2-90w Deep cycle tongue battery's, (these tongue battery's also start the gen set).

I am making sure that all equipment is compatible, and have no conflicts thru my whole system etc.
    If there is a conflict in my system, or is something that needs be changed to make it work better,
    I would greatly appreciate it, if you would let me know why.

As I am just about ready to pull the TH RV into the shop and start the building of the new solar system,
    for this upcoming year. 
    :)  

Tia,
    Don

• Estragon
    To check the charger you might want to measure voltage at the charger output and at the battery terminals while charging as a starting point.

The best way to avoid the burnt pile of TH is to be sure to install fuses/breakers sized appropriately to protect wiring.

As for your balance of system and stuff being too big etc., it IS a balance. There are always trade-offs. What you have listed seems reasonable to me, but to each his own. Once you start actually using the system you will no doubt find some things you wished you had done differently. I suspect that happens to all of us to some degree.
    Off-grid.