Status of newest MPPT CC's ?

Vic
Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
Have been patiently waiting for the latest MPPT Charge Controllers to settle in.

Have two MX-60's, which are great boxes. Want one additional CC.

What is the status on the XW ... HAS SEEMED buggy, Anyone successfully using one ? How is the human interface with that two-line display ... hard to beat the MX on useable and intuitive interface.

Wonder how close the Midnite Classic is to shipping ...

The planned OB 80 Amp unit seems interesting ... hope the cooling concerns have been fixed.

Have really wanted a convection-cooled CC, and the MX is such a great box, had hoped that OB or Midnite would do convection, but guess that is not in the cards.

Any experience/news appreciated. Thanks Vic
Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.

Comments

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Status of newest MPPT CC's ?

>>had hoped that OB or Midnite would do convection

Yeah, no fan is nice for fan reliability reasons. Ya just gotta use a good fan. If you have that AND good heat sink/heat flow, then all parts will run cooler and the whole unit will/can be more reliable.

boB
  • Vic

Hi boB,

Thanks for the reply. Yep the combination of the two would be perfect -- to me, if the fan was essentially for emergency cooling only, then SELL ME ONE !

The fans, especially the smaller ones make a lot of acoustic NOISE. But a fan is better than a Too Hot shutdown.

I am not knocking the MX. I do LOVE that box. Usually hate any menu system, but the MX is very intuitive and easy to use without the manual. Very well done. Wonder if fewer characters on the display equates to a more tedious user interface.

Can't wait for the Classic to available.

73 Thanks boB. Best Wishes for the Holidays. Vic K6IC
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Robin Gudgel
    Robin Gudgel Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭

If you like the menu structure of the MX60 then you are going to really like the Classic!
    It will do graphs and oscilloscope functions as well as text. We have twice as many buttons that will make getting around menus easier. That is a good thing since the features and capabilities on the Classic will be lots more than the MX60.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

HI Robin....when, when, when???

cheers
    Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Vic

Yes, Robin,

Please sell one to me.

Guess it will be 6-9 months minimum. Will try to get by with the present config. Want an additional CC for charging/EQing from a generator-powered Brute Force transformer/rectifier/filter power supply. This is a semi-portable job. Guess will try the backup CC -- MorningStar TS 60.

Good Luck with the Classic development cycle. Would love to Beta test one, but you probably are more interested in wind turbine users for Beta.

Thnaks again, can hardly wait ! VIc