screws question please :-)

Hi,
I had a nice guy put on my solar panels ON MY rv in AZ 6 years ago.
I bought a new one, old one was rusted and I took off the panel, leaving me with 2 front screws that were about 12 " rounded ( think it had some sort of washer under it, but difficult to tell, all were rusted.) and short but very pointy on bottom.
I matched the 2 other screws ( selftapping ) on back ok
and also the one with 3 screws holding both together under a bracket.
However the 2 front ones ( mentioned above ) I can't seem to find.
Can anyone tell me where to buy these 2 or which I should get, so the panels won't fly off while driving ????
Thanks for the info and help
in Key West fl
Appreciate it.
Mem

Comments

• Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Re: screws question please :-)

I'm unable to visualize from your text description what those screws look like. Is it possible to post a picture?

Even if your local hardware / marine store doesn't carry those screws, they could probably give you a standardized description of what they are, for example, 10-24 x 3" stainless w/ oval head Torx T-25. Armed with such a description, you can type that into eBay or the internet at large and most likely find something.

By the way, I found my mounting hardware by typing "stainless screw" into eBay, and the best deal was from a marine store in Florida...
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Confused.
    I don't really care what screws I use, I just want ones that work, so the panels don't fly off the RV, and I am confused as to which I could buy to use.
    I know the ones I took off, worked excellent, so wanted the same.... only because they worked for a long time..... but if someone could be so kind as to tell me which to buy, I would greatly appreciate it :-)
    All I know is that the front ones were different than the back ones.
    Don't want to make the mistake of getting screws that are not good enough, and then see my pannels fly thru the air onto another car or just fall in pieces on the road :-(

Thanks for the help
    Mem........
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

http://fastenmsc.stores.yahoo.net/fasformet.html ?

You can get them at home depot and the like. Or just use sheet metal screws
  • System2

Thank you both for your help :-)
    Mem
  • System2

Keep in mind that one must use good old fashioned common sense when doing such work. If you're the one doing the work, you are ultimately responsible for the quality of that work. Others lives could depend on it. Like you stated, the panels could come off and go through the windshield of the vehicle behind you.
    I fear that in all too many cases, common sense is a thing of the past, as we have been trained to call a Lawyer whenever anything goes wrong or doesn't work. That "call my lawyer" attitude is not what made North America great.
    Wayne
  • Art
    Art Solar Expert Posts: 32

Although I wouldn't rely on it alone, a bit of silicone might not go astray.