Replacement pressure gauge

Hill_Country
Hill_Country Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
Just over a year ago we had a Flotec TC2104 analog pressure gauge for Jet/Submersible well pumps installed in our water system to be able to see what the pressure is in our system at any time.  However, this pressure gauge is no longer accurate and I have a feeling it's because we have a 5-stage diaphragm pump that (an Aquatec 550, 4.5 gpm, 5-stage diaphragm, pressure booster pump) creates pulsations that have probably affected the pressure gauge accuracy.  I have not removed the inaccurate pressure gauge from our system yet to determine if it's partially clogged or not; however, I have checked the accuracy of the gauge using a standard hose bib water pressure gauge and the Flotec is definitely off by 10 - 15psi (Flotec reads lower than the actual pressure). 

Can anyone recommend a pressure gauge that can handle the pulsations/vibrations put out by diaphragm pumps?  The Flotec TC2104 pressure gauge does not have any sort of liquid dampening system in the gauge itself, so the needle bounces/vibrates pretty significantly when the diaphragm pump is on.  Our system operates between 30psi (Cut-in) and 50psi (Cut-off) and we have a pressure tank so that the pump does not have to run every time there is demand.

Any suggestions on a suitable pressure gauge for a diaphragm pump (i.e. can handle pulsation and vibrations put out by a diaphragm pump)?

Below is a photo of our setup...you can see the pressure gauge just below the Square D pressure switch....

100% Off-grid with: 8 Solarworld 275 Watt Panels, 8 Concorde SunXtender 405aH 6v AGM Batteries, MS-4448PAE 48v Inverter, MidNite Solar Classic 200 Charge Controller, 10,000 gallon rainwater collection system, etc.

Comments

• Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016 #2
    try a liquid filled gauge. the link is for info only.
    http://www.wika.us/solutions_liquid_filled_gauges_en_us.WIKA
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, indeed. In a previous occupation dealing with hydronics, we spec'd liquid filled gauges on all projects. They invariably maintained calibration/operation 3-4 times longer.

Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Hill_Country
    Hill_Country Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Thanks y'all!  I have ordered a glycerin-filled pressure gauge.  I'll try and post the results once it is delivered and I install it.
    100% Off-grid with: 8 Solarworld 275 Watt Panels, 8 Concorde SunXtender 405aH 6v AGM Batteries, MS-4448PAE 48v Inverter, MidNite Solar Classic 200 Charge Controller, 10,000 gallon rainwater collection system, etc.