36v forklift battery and a 36v 30amp charge controller and a bunch of free 12 vdc inverters...

Options
KellyF
KellyF Registered Users Posts: 2
I have a 36v forklift battery and a 36v 30amp charge controller. However I was given a bunch of 12v inverters. Can I charge my battery 36v and pull 12v off each of the 3 cells one to its own inverter without hurting the battery? My charge controller will charge 12v 30amp as well but 36v 30amp will be a better use of my power.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    3x 12 VDC inverters on a 36 volt battery bank--In an emergency or if everything is "free"--It can work (beware that MSW type inverters tend to not have isolated outputs--So you have to ensure that you do not touch any AC lines to any other AC lines--And if there are remote on/off or meter/etc. for the AC inverters--The "digital/communications grounds" will be offset by 0/+12/+24 volts (multi-tapped battery bank).

You do not have a good match there... 36 volts is a non-standard (these days) DC voltage (12/24/48 volts).

You have options (cut bus bars on fork lift battery to 24 volt or 3x 12 volt strings in parallel; get a 36 volt AC inverter; etc.). You can (through NAWS, our host) possibly (I think) order custom voltage Exeltech inverters.

To pull a bus bar and re-connect using a hole saw, small torch, and bar of solder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8oiMoP5A1E

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset