Adding optimizers to off grid system with mppt charge controller.

Options
Shay
Shay Registered Users Posts: 2
I have installed several off grid systems on boats. These systems consist of 3 to 4 250 watt panels connected to a mppt charge comtroller. All the systems suffer to some extent from shading. I am trying to design a system using panel mounted optimizers in order to improve overall production. Can dc optimizers be added between solar panels and mppt charge controller. I don't know how the mppt charge controller will behave with 4 optimized panels feeding it.

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Shay,  Welcome to the Forum.

You are asking a good question.   In general,  it is a very good idea to contact the Charge Controller (CC) manufacturer for guidance.  Some Optimizers can damage some CCs,  as I read it.

As you know,  if it is possible,  try to run individual PVs in parallel to help reduce the power losses from shading.

FWIW,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't know about other brand optimizers but Solar Edge optimizers are intended to work with Solar Edge inverters, period. I would like to know which other brands work for off grid.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.