Outback 1600RE absorb and float settings

offgridmojo
offgridmojo Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
About a week ago we received and installed our Outback 1600RE battery. 

I contacted Outback Power and tech support gave me the following voltages:

55.9v Absorb
54v Float

And she specifically mentioned that if we are using Outback controllers:

56.4 Absorb
54.4 Float

She didn't mention how long to charge, but I read in the EnerSys (battery manufacturer) manual that they recommended 3 hours of absorb.

So far we've been reaching absorb at around noon each day, and just want to make sure that I am not under charging or overcharging the battery.

Do these settings sound correct? I have a fear of wrecking this spendy battery!

I am very new to this sector, having just a couple of years under my belt with 1 VFX3648 and a few panels, and about a year running 4 VFXs and these newer panels.

~Moses

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Moses,

Since this question is posted in the off-grid Topic area,  assume that this IS a large off grid system.

The Absorb voltage seems low,  BUT,  we always suggest contacting the manufacturer of the battery for guidance on Absorb and Float voltages,  and any EQ guidelines for batteries.   Outback Power is the supplier,  and should know exactly what these batteries need for Vabs,  and Vflt.

As you know,  the Absorb time,  depends upon the Depth Of Discharge (DOD)  that the battery experienced in the previous discharge cycle.

On many systems,  Finishing current (EA for us)  is a good method of ending Absorb,  if one has a reliable way of measuring battery charge current,  and a way to command the CCs to switch to Float.   The OB FNDC may well be able to do this job,  now.  In the past,  there were quite a few customers that were disappointed with the ability of the FNDC to do this job at all well ...  hope that this has been fixed.

You might ask OB for guidance on any EA settings that are suggested for these batteries,  if you ARE using the FNDC.   With this large system,  would assume that you are using an FNDC.

FWIW,   Good Luck with the new system,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • offgridmojo
    Thanks for the response Vic!

Yes, we are off-grid.

I don't want to imply I doubt Outbacks guidance, just want to make sure I get some other expert advice, as I fear killing such a large battery due to my lack of experience.

I have a FNDC, however it isn't connected right now to this bank -- it was to the previous bank. The reason at this point, is that it was extremely unreliable (reading full when not, etc). I should re-connect it and give outback a call for some guidance on properly setting it up.

As far as DoD, in my mind I wanted a large enough battery to be able to carry us a day or two at the most, but more realistically to just power everything all night and be charged back up the next day. With not knowing our exact DoD each day, I am just setting the lowest I want the battery to ever get, and fire the generator if it meets that threshold?

If so, I'd imagine or prefer to probably only want to take a good 30% of capacity before putting it back. Does that sound reasonable or?

Thank you again for your input.

~Moses
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Moses,

OK on all.

Agree that being a bit cautious about the FNDC may well be warranted  (trying to be polite).

So,  without trying to use the FNDC to try to genstart based on its perceived DOD,  you must be using battery voltage as the genstart trigger,  perhaps with several values of time that one of several voltage triggers are at or below the set values   ...  guess.

Many people do use voltage as genstart triggers,  and many are happy with the results.

Agree that trying to not discharge batteries,  too deeply is a good strategy.   30% DOD is probably a good starting point.

Believe that you are a Member on the OB Forum,  and you might also ask there,  for advice from actual users of these,   or similar batteries.  Personally,  have no experience with AGMs.

Good Luck,    Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • offgridmojo
    You are correct, I have generator start based on voltage triggers in the VFXs.

Again, you are correct that I am a member on the forum over there, but it is a ghost town with months between replies.

Today we had cloud cover for part of the afternoon, and with a 3 hour absorb setting the chargers made it to float. I am assuming they are full at this point.

I think I will just call Outback and ask what they recommend for voltage settings to get a close approximation to 30% DoD. I'll report back what they give me.

~Moses