Off Grid Refrigerators

ayurtdweller
ayurtdweller Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
I'm searching for an upright refrigerator to replace my chest freezer turned refrigerator. I found one that is about 11 cu ft. and claims to use 166 KWH annually. Problem is...I can't find it in the US. Anyone know of an upright that has similar specs in the US? http://www.lg.com/uk/fridge-freezers/lg-GBB530NSCFE http://www.lg.com/uk/fridge-freezers/lg-GBB530NSCFE

Comments

• DConlyGuy
    DConlyGuy Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Danby-Designer-24-in-W-11-0-cu-ft-Freezerless-Refrigerator-in-White-Counter-Depth-DAR110A1WDD/205471286   this is about as close as i could find here in the usa . i even went to the energy star site and i guess 250kwh is is about as good as it gets here. not sure about the brand danby. someone ask in the question part of the ad and they said it draws 1.5 amps so that not to bad
    600 watts of solar panels,Epever 30 mppt , 2 PWHR12500W4FR battery's in 24 volt setup
  • Hill_Country
    Hill_Country Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
    DConlyGuy said:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Danby-Designer-24-in-W-11-0-cu-ft-Freezerless-Refrigerator-in-White-Counter-Depth-DAR110A1WDD/205471286   this is about as close as i could find here in the usa . i even went to the energy star site and i guess 250kwh is is about as good as it gets here. not sure about the brand danby. someone ask in the question part of the ad and they said it draws 1.5 amps so that not to bad
    I have no experience with Danby, but there is short thread on Danby overall (not just their fridges/freezers) at http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/10503/are-danby-products-reliable-and-good-quality 

100% Off-grid with: 8 Solarworld 275 Watt Panels, 8 Concorde SunXtender 405aH 6v AGM Batteries, MS-4448PAE 48v Inverter, MidNite Solar Classic 200 Charge Controller, 10,000 gallon rainwater collection system, etc.
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    interesting  . looks like a great fridge . I have a samsung inverter fridge . using 317 KW per year  340l  .
    I note some sites have this lg at 161 kw per year and 237 kw per year . .... differing testing ? .  Still an impressive energy rating .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • ArcticTaco
    ArcticTaco Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I have a Danby oven that is about 15 yrs old, so probably pre China product. Depending on the size fridge, there are some variable speed Danfoss dc compressors available mostly for smaller marine type stuff. I am going to install a Danfoss dc compressor in a dorm fridge and see how it performs. So we'll see. I haven't really researched Sun Danzer? Yet but I think they have some dc stuff. Sun Frost is the bomb-or used to be- don't know if they even sell them anymore -$$$$$. 
    Good luck.
    All 12 vdc,  on a budget, 350 watts of panels, 8 sun extender 1040 T, Xantrex C40, Outback circuit breaker panel, and a couple cig lighter inverters.  Off grid for around 20 yrs in the Great Land - Alaska
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting  . looks like a great fridge . I have a samsung inverter fridge . using 317 KW per year  340l  .
    I note some sites have this lg at 161 kw per year and 237 kw per year . .... differing testing ? .  Still an impressive energy rating .
    I think it was 2 years ago that Energy Star changed how they rate US against Canadian KWH per year.
    My 22 cubic foot Whirlpool was 420 KWH per year and now the same (I think) model is close to  550KWH. The Canadian spec is still about what I had.  It does measure 1.2 kwh per day or so in conditioned space. Nice big bottom freezer that will get a beer/white wine perfect in an hour.

The Danby line is at Costco here in California. Not sure about them as for quality.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Bought a Hotpoint 14 cu.ft. refrigerator/freezer at Home Depot for $487 dollars. According to my Kill-a-watt meter it draws .76 amps when running. Works really well as far as keeping stuff cold. Haven't checked the running power consumption yet but can say it spends a lot of time NOT running which is a good thing, especially in the Baja heat. Very happy with it.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Dave Angelini
    Where in the Sea are you? Punta Chivato? I remember those summers very well ! Good times!
    The GE is hard to beat in that size.
    My emergency replacement is the LG with an inverter linear compressor. Prices getting real now for these. Check the KWH spec from the US to Canadian!  They must think Canadians don't heat their homes in winter.  We use alot less in summer because we keep the house at 73F. Winter we can hit 79F during the day.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-30-in-W-22-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-in-Smooth-Black-LFC22770SB/205033979

• littleharbor2
    edited June 2016 #9
     Hey Dave, I'm in the South Campos between San Felipe and Puerticitos. It's gawdawfully hot and humid there in the summer. Just got back into So. Cal. yesterday. It was running only in the 100's there this last week.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Dave Angelini
    I thought little Harbor was either a sailboat make or an actual little harbor. I know where you are now and you know where I am!
    We love Mexico here!

• littleharbor2
     Dave, I live on Catalina Island and have been a somewhat fanatical camper. My standing reservation on my campsite at Little harbor (on Catalina) was site #2. When I joined the computer age many years ago and needed an email address it became littleharbor2@yahoo.com . Soooo, littleharbor2 became my handle in many different areas.
      I bought a house on the beach in Baja a few years ago after spending a lot of time down there. There is no grid in the South Campos so EVERYBODY is solar powered. It's amazing driving around and seeing the variety of solar arrays. Lots of old stuff.

• Dave Angelini
    edited June 2016 #12
    Cool ! Use to anchor off Catalina one year alot. San Felipe was a bit North and shallow for us so we would go up to Bahia De Los Angeles to try and stay north of the hurricanes. If you are ever doing a road trip up here near the park we are in the book and there is phone number. We are always here.

• littleharbor2
    Nice Dave, good to know. Seems like most our travels these days are southward.  I have a friend who lives in Punta Chivato and we are planning to visit him soon. Do you get down that way often? 

• Dave Angelini
    I was down to Loreto to fish last October. I always liked that area and almost settled there in the 90's but could never figure out how to cool the place with little water and large AC loads.  Easy now though!