conecting 12v to 24v panel in paralell

renaultscenic2
renaultscenic2 Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭
Hi,i want t ask if its possible to conect  2,100w 12v panels to a 200w 24v panel in the same string?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Maybe. Need to know the Vmp and Imp of both types of panels.

Also, what voltage battery bank and brand/model of charge controller would help.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • renaultscenic2
    12v battery bank and tristar ts-60cc.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    And Vmp + Imp of the panels.

The tri star is mppt or pwm?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • renaultscenic2
    The vmp for the 250w is 31.14v while the imp is 8.03A,while for the 2,100w panels I must find time to check cos they are mounted on the roof.The Cc is tristar ts60 mppt
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    The vmp for the 250w is 31.14v while the imp is 8.03A,while for the 2,100w panels I must find time to check cos they are mounted on the roof.The Cc is tristar ts60 mppt
    Your 250 watt panel is a 60 cell panel.  Your 100 watt panels are probably 36 cell panels.  They are not a good match in series or parallel.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • renaultscenic2
    Thanks for the info
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    You could wire the two 12v modules in series to get a 24v string, then parallel that 24v string with the 24v module. It wouldn't be a perfect match, but it would work.

You'd lose some efficiency because the MPPT would probably end up picking an operating voltage somewhere between the two (split the difference) so neither the 24v string nor the 24v module would be working at their maximum power point. In other words, the array as a whole would be operating at the maximum power point of the array, which will be something like 3v higher than the MPP of the single module, and 3v lower than the MPP of the series string (assuming your 100w modules are 36 cell / 18vmp).

If your 100w modules were 32 cell / 16vmp, then you'd be so close that it wouldn't matter enough to bother even worrying about.

Actually...I suppose it would work the same way and have about the same efficiency handicap if you just wired all three in series to make a 67v series string.