Equalize with xantrex sw 4204

zw1213
zw1213 Registered Users Posts: 4
Hello, new to solar here. We've inherited a pv system and getting to some of the do's and don'ts.
I know I need to equalize the batteries. Do I need to disconnect the AC power to the house? BTW, we are off the grid.
Oh, I've read somewhere that you can equalize just with solar? We do have a generator as well.
Thanks for any help.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin
    The "weak part" of any off grid solar system is the battery bank. You do something wrong with the batteries, and you end up with a bunch of very expensive scrap lead.

Read about batteries:

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm
    http://www.batteryfaq.org/
    http://batteryuniversity.com/

Get/use various tools need to confirm how well your battery bank is running:

http://www.solar-electric.com/midnite-solar-battery-hydrometer.html (hydrometer if flooded cell)
    http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-clamp-on-ammeter/p-03482369000P (DC/AC current clamp Digital Multi-Meter)

Check SG and Water levels every week until you know how your bank performs. Then check water levels every month. You should be adding water every ~2-3 months. If more often, you may be over charging. If adding water less than once every 6 months, you may be under charging.

Make sure battery cables/terminal ends are clean and protected with some sort of anti corrosive (grease, battery terminal end "paint", Vaseline, etc.).

Understand how much power the solar array+battery bank can supply (Amp*Hours or Watt*Hours per day), vs how much load you have in the cabin.

Equalizing the battery bank--If flooded cell, you should use your hydrometer to monitor the cell SG... You equalize to bring all cells up to maximum SG. Then stop. Equalization voltage would be around 30-31 volts (typically) and ~5% of of the bank's Amp*Hour capacity (example, if 200 AH battery bank then ~10 amps of EQ current). EQ may take 1 hour, or it may take 4+ hours--Depends on how out of balance the cells are (check SG every 30-60 minutes, when SG stops rising on all cells, your are done EQ, and log the SG of each cell--that is your new 100% state of charge based on SG--Rinse the hydrometer a few times with distilled water before putting away). If badly output of balance, or if the battery bank gets too hot (not over ~110F), cool back down below 95F if bank does get over heated) or continue EQ the next day.

Most people "murder" their first one or two battery banks (it happens to all of us). Most people under estimate their loads and over estimate how much energy the solar array+battery bank and reliably supply--And generally it is the battery bank that suffers.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • zw1213
    Thanks. Yeah, 4024. 1st Bank has been destroyed...lol. I will read up on this.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi zw..,

You should NOT need to disconnect the AC loads on the inverter,  when EQing your battery.

And,  YES,  you can EQ with Solar,  if the Charge Controller (CC)  has the capability,  and you have enough PV power available for enough time to fully-charge the battery (at least as much as possible)  before starting the EQ.

Some battery types must NOT be EQed,  like Gel batteries.   Some AGM batteries may be EQed,  but,  often,  this is a long Absorb stage at the normal Absorb voltage.

If your batteries are Flooded Lead-Acid (FLA),  then you can EQ them.   Follow the recommendations for Absorb,  Float,  and EQ voltages provided by the manufacturer of your exact battery model.  FLA batteries have easily removable caps that do not require a tool to remove.

Make sure that ALL charge sources  --  CC and Inverter,  etc  --  use Remote Temperature Sensors (RTS or BTS).   Place these sensors half way down the side of one battery that is in the center of the battery bank for best results.   ALL RTSes should be on the same battery.

What is the manufacturer and model number for your batteries?  Check that your CC and SW4024 have the proper Absorb,  Float and EQ voltages set in the appropriate menus.

What is the CC that you are using on the PVs?

Thanks,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • zw1213
    Hey Vic, sorry for a very late reply. Thanks for the help. I have a Tristar TS-45 Solar Controller. I just got done with some research on DIP switch settings.... I did not realize how involved with the system would be. But I'm loving it.
  • zw1213
    Hello everyone. Update: Our Xantrex was destroyed by lightning. Since then, we have installed a Magnum MS4024PAE. Still using a replacement Tristar TS-45 controller. The Deka L16s that I originally had were replaced with Trojan L16P-AC batteries. I've went thru the electrical system and made repairs and properly grounded the system. So far, so good. I'm waiting on some good sun to try equalizing with solar. After some research, I've come to realize that my controller can be set to automatically equalize for 3 hours at 28 day intervals. But I want to try it manually so I can observe before I switch it to manual.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have new SPD's or lightning arrestors installed ?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada