New Guy

southfork
southfork Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

New solar owner 24 solar world 285 watt panels with 24 Enphase 250 s ground mount grid tied . First day operating real cloudy so production all over the place but meter has been running on the minus side all day. Array producing more than I'm using which is what I was hoping for . High of 6.5 KW and low of 1.67 KW I flipped the breakers on at 9AM today . Kelsey N. California 

24 solar world 285 watt panels with 24 Enphase 250 s ground mount grid tied .                                                                

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Keep an eye on your power bill... PG&E has changed billing/rate plans--Not as nice as the old rate plan I used to have (E7--Off Peak rates after 6pm on weekdays). The newer plans run late into the evening with Peak and Partial Peak later into the evening--after the sun went down (8-9pm or so).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • southfork
    Looks like full sun today I still need to install some software to track production 3.9 KW at 9am so a good start . I noticed my array was making 68w at 6:30 am with no sun on panels giant black oak blocking the rising sun . My power bill has continued to increase over the years from $40 to over $225 I have four water pumps running on two wells that's my largest load . Two submersible and two booster pumps on my storage tanks . We cut way back on watering last season and still seen an increase I'm hoping my new investment will turn this around .
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Look at your power plan--And try to run the pumps when you are off peak...

HOWEVER, also understand what happens with your tiered rate plan.

I don't know the details, but at one point (decade ago), PG&E would run the "credits" against each time period (off peak, partial peak, peak)... So, it was possible to use lots of power off peak (during the night, such as charging an electric vehicle), and may the customer pay high $/kWH pricing (like tier 3). And be paying tier 1 rates during peak times (PG&E would not keep all two/three tiers the same, i.e., all at 1 or 2).

So, depending on your rate plan, PG&E's interpretations, and such--You may need to "play" with your pumps and figure out if it is better to run them when the sun is up, off peak, or spread throughout the day.

Also--Last I checked, PG&E was supposed to be working on a software package that could analyze these complex power calculations based on your E-Meter's records--And, in theory, be able to help you figure out/model the optimum rate plan and energy profile. Out sometime later this year?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • southfork
    We have Enphase  Energy's Enlighten software to monitor the system a new toy to figure out . Shows real time production daily - monthly - yearly complete with graphs . also shows real time production on each panel .
  • southfork
    southfork said:

New solar owner 24 solar world 285 watt panels with 24 Enphase 250 s ground mount grid tied . First day operating real cloudy so production all over the place but meter has been running on the minus side all day. Array producing more than I'm using which is what I was hoping for . High of 6.5 KW and low of 1.67 KW I flipped the breakers on at 9AM today . Kelsey N. California 

Just a test to see if I can post a photo . My array . May 9 - 31 produced 952kwh my average daily usage is 21kwh so even with cloudy rainy days last month the system has been running the meter backward . That's what I was hoping for .