XLPE cable

James
James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
Hello Folks.

I need advise regarding use of XLPE rated wire in solar setups.
I ran into a great deal (almost free!) 250' roll of this cable.

The cable printing states as follows:
Belden CSA CL1251 XLPE
6 awg awm 125c FLEX/150c NO-FLEX 600v or AWM 3321 150c 600v or AWM I 150c FT2 RZ

Can any electricians here on the forum tell me what I have here, and weather I can use this in PVC conduit and still meet NEC rules?
My proposed uses would include PV array to interior charge controller and possibly from small wind genny to batteries.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

Comments

• Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Re: XLPE cable

I was hoping someone else would reply - I'm not an electrician.

XLPE would certainly take the heat, that's no problem. That 125C / 150C is probably the temperature rating.

However, I'd go to the library and take a look at the NEC, article 310, to see whether this wire is listed for wet locations. I don't have a new NEC at hand, but didn't see reference to XLPE in my old one as an insulation grade that can go into conduit. Conduit is considered a wet, not a damp, location, on the presumption that water could collect in it. If the wire has stamped on it, "wet" or something like that, it's likely good enough to convince an inspector, who will probably NOT be familiar with this more exotic, industrial/automotive wire. If it doesn't say "wet", you need to have a citation in the NEC ready to back you up.

Two other considerations - sorry if this is too obvious -

If any part of the wire is going to be exposed, you'll want to have a sunlight or UV-resistant rating stamped on the insulation, or else have a citation in the NEC. For example, if it just said "USE-2", that would be enough to presume UV-resistance.

And in the unlikely event that the wire is aluminum, there might be local ordinances against using it in new work - you'll need to check with the local Authority Having Jurisdiction (City or County).