I wonder if it has faster "sweeping"
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: New OutBack Charge Controller Announced

Looks like a bit more than a high current MX60:

"...
    continuous and active Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) technology..."
    "...
    enhanced cooling, allowing it to operate at its full 80 amp rating in ambient temperatures of 104o F (40o C) without de-rating."

Regards,
    Jim
  • crewzer

Link to specs: http://www.outbackpower.com/pdfs_spec/FLEXmax80%20_web.pdf

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

The 128 days of logging looks nice!

The MX60 Drop capacity when above 77 degrees?

That is the majority of the year here.

what is the temp capability when set to 70 Amps?
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Looks like they targeted the Apollo unit market, boB any insite to whats different from your design?

No mention of compliance ... wether the new UL or FCC regulations

I'd like to see one doing real mppt with a 4000 watt inverter load ...
  • crewzer

The MX60 Drop capacity when above 77 degrees?
    That is the majority of the year here.
    what is the temp capability when set to 70 Amps?

The MX60 is derated for both temperature and altitude. See page 65 of the user manual.

While ambient summer temperatures in my location often exceed 33 C (~91 F), I don't believe inside north wall of my garage where my MX60 is located ever exceeds 27 C (~81 F). But, my system is relatively small, so it's not stressed. And, I'm only at ~300 feet above sea level.

However, my semi-retirement property is at 5,400 feet above sea level, so I'll likely have to consider altitude derating (~10%?) no matter what equipment I buy.

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

Nearly 3 months (10.7.07) ago Xantrex officially launched its new XW system including the XW60 MPPT CC. As yet sadly as an Xantrex fan quoting NAWS
    Vapourware. It will interesting to see when the new OB 80 amp ships, as I will have a 2.4 kw @ 24v array soon and 66/72 amps is an everyday possibility allowing me to purchase one unit, will I end up waiting like I have been for the XW which originally had a Spring 07 release date. I may be wrong hopefully but I get the feeling that this may be another wait and by me soon product to temp you from a pending purchase of the oppostion products. I hope OB prove me wrong and ship this product shortly after its announcement.

Or do you want to wait for my 12v / 180v 120 amp MPPT fully dynamic with convection cooling , wind turbine compatible, charge controller with WiFi PC connection voice activated control panel works at full power at 60 degrees in conjunction with a 6kw inverter load and costs $100 out soon ! PS the cheques in the post !

Sorry for the rant call me a cynic !
  • crewzer
    "...as I will have a 2.4 kw @ 24v array soon and 66/72 amps is an everyday possibility..."
    Hmmm... NEC issues aside, XW literature suggests it can handle a 2400 W array for a 24 V system, but it will limit the output at 60 A.

OutBack's data sheet indicates the FLEXmax will handle a 2500 W array with a 24 V system, but it also indicates that the NEC limit is 2,000 W. I wonder if the FM80 will include any tricks like the MX60's 70 A output setting...

The there's the T80...

Another possibility is to hookup 2,000 W to whatever controller you buy and see what happens. The remaining 400 W could operate via the C40 in the meantime.

What PV modules will you include in your final 2.4 kW array configuration?

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • nigtomdaw

There will be 12 identical 200w Monocrystalline Panels 8 up a present split between 2 C40s

Ive seen 44 amps regulary at solar noon and 50 on ocasions which suggests 66 amps regulary with the additional 4 panels
  • nigtomdaw

Jim Ive just taken the time to read the spec sheet, very interesting, however since you are close to OB you may wish to point out that the knockouts listed at 1 inch or 35mm shoud read 25mm only a little thing but Ive been pulled up for less :-)
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    nigtomdaw wrote: »
    Nearly 3 months (10.7.07) ago Xantrex officially launched its new XW system including the XW60 MPPT CC. As yet sadly as an Xantrex fan quoting NAWS Vapourware.....
    Sorry for the rant call me a cynic !

I have to admit that we are somewhat skepticle also after what happened with OB and the "Flexware" shipments. Announced and advertised in early summer, finally started shipping 6-9 months later.
  • crewzer

Nigtomdaw,

Considering your mild-to-warm-to hot location (Spain), which makes you automatically exempt from the US NEC, ;) I see no technical reason for why an 80 A MPPT controller couldn't adequately handle a 2,400 W array in a 24 V nominal system. On the very rare and brief occasions that such a system could deliver >80 A chareg current , the controller would electronically limit the output to 80 A. You'd just need to configure the array so that it operates within the controller's Voc and Isc limits.

You could even conduct some field tests for us and verify several manufacturer's technical claims. ;) OutBack says their new FM80 is good for up to 2500 W with a 24 V system.

Apollo's spec sheet makes this claim for their T-80: "Max PV array power …………….. 5200 Watts (maximum when equalizing a 48v battery to 64v at 80 Amps)". Seems to me it should be able to handle 2,600 W for a 24 V system.

Similarly, here's what Xantrex has to say about their new XW's power handling capabilities: "Array Size: ... Although the Solar Charge Controller can harvest a maximum of 3500 W, the PV array size can be as high as 6720 W (based on 48 A x 140 Vdc = 6720 W)".

In short, occasional overloads shouldn't be a problem. But, as always, the devil's in the details.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • crewzer

Greenbaba,

This forum has a rule against posting commerical ads and links. See: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=635

You agreed to abide by the forum rules when you registered. Please delete the hyperlink to a commerial solar products website from your signature.

Thanks,
    Jim / crewzer
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like they targeted the Apollo unit market, boB any insite to whats different from your design?

No mention of compliance ... wether the new UL or FCC regulations

I'd like to see one doing real mppt with a 4000 watt inverter load ...

Looks like an MX60 with a fan to me and a higher current limit. It think they added to the existing operation, the "typical" dynamic MPPT algorithm that most others use, (well documented, old stuff nowadays), in addition to the typical "mini sweeping" Perturbed and Obsurd method, which is still somewhat necessary as well as the dynamic algorithm.

As far as de-rating goes, even at high temperatures, these units will normally do the same amount of output current, with lower efficiency.
    (up to a point of course) The MX60 was actually officially blessed for 75 Amps a few years ago.

I haven't seen an MF80 in the flesh yet, but looking at the manual, it looks pretty much like an MX60 inside.

boB :D
  • nigtomdaw

The blurb indicates the fan, (if u fit one fit a good one) has been moved to the upper extension, easy to get at, boB r u saying this is a wallpaper job ? nothing intrinsically new just a better fan in a better place, and a driver update from the internet ? soo always getting in trouble:blush:....boB sos for being Devils Advocate, mate......hey Im a poet :p.Hows the classic-clipper sailing ? self confessed Idiot:D cheers Tim
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    ...and a driver update from the internet ? Tim

I didn't see that part, Tim. Fill me in...

Yes, I'm working hard on your Clipper/Classic etc. Even taking some time off the day job for that.:D
    boB
  • nigtomdaw

Like the editing old boy, ........8) get a duff device for your PC upload the new driver,hey presto it works ,,,,,,,,,,probably ,,,,,,,,nearly ...... not just no device found.....at least :cool: not even suggesting the MX was ever buff or even duff, still is and will always be an ICON, trying to see if the Flexmax 80 is fagan fan under cloak ,maybe an ad mans Spray Job !;) as you think ? Well documented old stuff like dynamic MPPT logs always gets dumped on the net or not ? do u a agree ? PS I havent found them, probably bcos I haven looked .;)