Battery Scam

jeffreyd
jeffreyd Registered Users Posts: 1

Just want to give the people here a heads up.

I ordered 8 US made Trojan Agm Batteries from a company called Apex Battery (Also known as Apex Superstore) in Las Vegas, Nevada.

What I received were 8 Chinese Knock-offs.  They didn't bother to take the Chinese name off.

Basically, a bait and switch or scam operation.

I suspect all their business is this way.

The way they hide everything and protect themselves thru the internet shows their true nature.

I Paid $1800 for the order (Product and shipping.)  They claim that if I return the batteries, They'll refund my cost.

This is how they really scam you.  To ship the batteries back, it would cost me between $1000 and $2000.  No hand deliveries.

How did they truck ship them to me for only $350?  Obviously, it came from the somewhere.

They aren't responsible for the switch in product.  They claim that a substitution was ok for them to do.

Final note: Thought I'd use them in a less critical application.  Batteries failed after the first charge.

Anyone know a good lawyer in Vegas.  I'm in Vermont.

Jeff

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Did you pay with a credit card? Usually CC companies are pretty good about getting your money back when there are problems.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the heads-up on Apex Battery.

YES,   do try your CC issuer,  or whomever is the vendor for the payment.

Have not dealt with Apex,  but here is some discussion from other disappointed customers:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/apex-battery-c157093.html

Good Luck,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats blatent misrepresentation. I dont know about the US, but here we have decentish customer protections. The "Small claims court" is more or less free, and is pretty effective in routng out this kind of nastiness.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    I hope a CC was used as my CC company has been amazingly great with this sort of thing. 
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #6

Jeff,

If you feel like trying to seek some sanctions on Apex Battery,  you might try contacting the District Attorney's office in Las Vegas,  as there does seem to be a trail of misrepresentation and perhaps outright FRAUD.

EDIT: Found no hits at the Better Business Bureau  --  BBB.   You should also probably try to file a Complaint with them,  as there appear to be a number of complaints on other sites,  but,  one BBB complaint might generate more,  when BBB hits begin to appear in simple web searches ...

FWIW.   Good Luck,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Tell us more about your application!

While you may have an *alleged* valid complaint, a nearly similar message on another solar board(s) stated you wanted to start an internet war against them, and solicited forum members to join in.

If you use the boards solely as a springboard for litigation, that might turn some off to your quest.

So what is your application, what gear are you running and so forth?

• PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    I guess what I'm trying to say is while you may have a very valid complaint, this is the web after all.  WE don't have proof that your transaction has taken place, and for all we know you could be a disgruntled former employee or competitor.

Just sayin' - and not to be harsh, but we don't know you other than this being your first post.