Sorry folks...wackyness with charger/CC

morpho
morpho Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
So, I start up the genny this morning. I started out at 86% SOC.
Bulk charging...cool. 
Look a bit later:
Absorb charging 93% SOC cool.
Go back a bit later and on the remote it says:
Float charging 56 VDC + 20 amps
but the SOC is 94%

Now, the absorb is set to 3 hours...on both the CC and the gen charger.
It hasn't been 3 hours in absorb for sure.
Both are set to
Absorb 58.8
Float 56
Equalize 61.2

The sun finally comes up and I clear the snow off the panels.
The CC is saying Bulk charging...not absorb...not float...

Just went and had a look:
The batteries are 76 degrees F
the SG is currently 1.260
Still float charging 56 + 6 amps now
Soc 96%

What gives? I am going to assume I am undercharging the bank if it is at the float setting of 56 VDC and not the absorb 58.8
What did I do!?!?
11.5 kw array  -  3 - midnite solar classic 200's   -  Magnum MS-PAE Inverter  -  Magnum ME-RC50 remote  -  ME-BMK batt-monitor  -  8 DEKA Solar GC15 230amp hour (48v) - Yamaha ef3000ise - 1 confused look on face

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    I am not familiar with the Magnum Inverter / Charger, but with Schneider / Xantrex when you set the Amp hrs of the bank that automatically sets the Ending amps to 2% of the total amp hrs. If it's ending to soon you can fake it by lowering the total amp hrs of the bank. If you want it to end sooner, you raise it. Your battery monitor may override some of the basic settings.

Example:

300 amp hr *2% = 6 EA

500 amp hr * 2% = 10 EA

800 amp hr *2% =  16 EA
  • morpho
    morpho Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #3
    thanks Blackcherry....Wifi went down....everything technological is giving me grief at the moment!

I ended up getting a solution from "The PV Whisperer"....(don't ask long story) he had me up the absorb voltage from 58.8 to 59.2. Worked like a charm....

Now if I can just get my laptop to stop crashing everytime I output a PDF!
    11.5 kw array  -  3 - midnite solar classic 200's   -  Magnum MS-PAE Inverter  -  Magnum ME-RC50 remote  -  ME-BMK batt-monitor  -  8 DEKA Solar GC15 230amp hour (48v) - Yamaha ef3000ise - 1 confused look on face