Battery Bank all the same lot or not?

Cosmos
Cosmos Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭
First post, Greetings!!  I have read several times that buying the same lot of batteries if possible may be best.  Last Sept I began to order my system, it included 24 Rolls Surrettes S 1660 batteries.  I discovered I could get same lot from NAWS by waiting about 10 weeks, so I placed the order.  The  batteries arrived Dec 7th, but they were not all the same lot as ordered, 2 batteries were older and not the same lot; one made in Jan 2015 (specific gravity 1.170) and the other battery made in April 2015.  All the other 22 batteries had same lot number, same date of manufacture and a specific gravity of at least 1.230   These batteries were quite an investment, including shipping over $10,000.00  I have contacted my sales rep at NAWS and they are looking into it.  I have contacted the shipping company in Phoenix and they are looking into it, but they wanted documentation such as photographs which I supplied. I am very disappointed after waiting and paying so much money for "same lot batteries" and not to receive them.  But more importantly now, especially with these cold Northern Arizona temps, I do not want all these batteries to go without charging, should I go ahead and hook up all 24 (even the older one made last January) and start charging them up for the sake of the batteries?   I have no idea how long resolving this problem may take (and have been advised such), or if hooking up the one older low specific gravity battery into the new bank could harm the other new same lot batteries?
Home.  30 Kyocera 265 6MCA, FP2-VFX3648 (two FM80 charge controllers, FW-X240 transformer, MATE3, HUB10, FLEXnet DC, two 80A charge 
controll breakers, surge protector), Zomeworks (two-UTRF-168) 9 panels on each,  2 fixed pole arrays with 6 panels on each, 24 Rolls Surrettes S-1660 (2 v) for a 48 v battery bank, various MidNite circuit breakers, combiner boxes, Zephyr Power Vent, Hydrovolt, MidNite Solar surge protector for AC/DC circuits.  Honda generators; 800, EU2000i, EM3500sx, EM6500.  Generac 8000.

Off road Jeep trailer M416 conversion.  4 Kyocera 40 watt PV panels, Outback FX 2012 MT, Trimetric 2025 RV,  4 Optima Blue Tops, 400 watt AirX wind turbine (12 v), Morningstar Sunsaver S20 w/LVD disconnect , MidNite battery capacity meter, various fuses,.

NEW 12/21:  Sold the Jeep trailer, so that's gone.  The Home system is I am redoing completely, retiring the "old" home systems except still using Kyocera solar panels, etc.  New permitted system:  roughly 16,000 watts of solar panels (54 panels, Kyocera and REC), spread out on 2 Zomeworks, 2 Powerfab pole top mounts, and a large Snap N Rack ground mount (8000 watts with grade beam footings)..  2 Outback 8048A with load centers, 4 Outback flex 100 charge controllers, 4 combiner boxes, multiple surge protectors, Mate 3s, HUB 10, FNDC, 2 Lynx 1000 amp bus bars, 6 Fortress E Flex 5.4 Lithium Batteries, Square D Stu 223 disconnect, lots of matched battery cables, circuit breakers, fuses, etc.  Still finishing ground mount, inspector said to finish system and then final, estimate 2-3 weeks, no anticipated problems going well.  Kohler 14kW RESA, Honda EM6500, etc.

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    should I go ahead and hook up all 24 (even the older one made last January) and start charging them up for the sake of the batteries?

IMHO, Yes, but I would double check with NAWS...you don't want the out lyers causing degradation of the rest because you did NOT charge them as expected...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cosmos
    Thanks for your reply.  I did check with NAWS and they agreed--charge them all asap.  I put them on an IOTA charger last week and the 48 v bank went up to float (according to charger display).

By the way, apparently the mix up with the 2 out of 24 batteries not being the same lot as ordered happened with the shipping company, and not with NAWS directly, and the shipper has promised two brand new batteries asap to replace the two older ones, thus the new bank will be made up of batteries all close in age.  By this afternoon I will have system ready to hook up to my 10K generator for charging the batteries and I can start drawing off inverters when we want it quiet.  Panels going up soon--poles being set now.  Happy Holidays to all.
    Home.  30 Kyocera 265 6MCA, FP2-VFX3648 (two FM80 charge controllers, FW-X240 transformer, MATE3, HUB10, FLEXnet DC, two 80A charge 
    controll breakers, surge protector), Zomeworks (two-UTRF-168) 9 panels on each,  2 fixed pole arrays with 6 panels on each, 24 Rolls Surrettes S-1660 (2 v) for a 48 v battery bank, various MidNite circuit breakers, combiner boxes, Zephyr Power Vent, Hydrovolt, MidNite Solar surge protector for AC/DC circuits.  Honda generators; 800, EU2000i, EM3500sx, EM6500.  Generac 8000.

Off road Jeep trailer M416 conversion.  4 Kyocera 40 watt PV panels, Outback FX 2012 MT, Trimetric 2025 RV,  4 Optima Blue Tops, 400 watt AirX wind turbine (12 v), Morningstar Sunsaver S20 w/LVD disconnect , MidNite battery capacity meter, various fuses,.

NEW 12/21:  Sold the Jeep trailer, so that's gone.  The Home system is I am redoing completely, retiring the "old" home systems except still using Kyocera solar panels, etc.  New permitted system:  roughly 16,000 watts of solar panels (54 panels, Kyocera and REC), spread out on 2 Zomeworks, 2 Powerfab pole top mounts, and a large Snap N Rack ground mount (8000 watts with grade beam footings)..  2 Outback 8048A with load centers, 4 Outback flex 100 charge controllers, 4 combiner boxes, multiple surge protectors, Mate 3s, HUB 10, FNDC, 2 Lynx 1000 amp bus bars, 6 Fortress E Flex 5.4 Lithium Batteries, Square D Stu 223 disconnect, lots of matched battery cables, circuit breakers, fuses, etc.  Still finishing ground mount, inspector said to finish system and then final, estimate 2-3 weeks, no anticipated problems going well.  Kohler 14kW RESA, Honda EM6500, etc.

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Cosmos said:
    By the way, apparently the mix up with the 2 out of 24 batteries not being the same lot as ordered happened with the shipping company, and not with NAWS directly, and the shipper has promised two brand new batteries asap to replace the two older ones
    I don't get it... how does a shipping company slip two old batteries into a NAWS order?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cosmos
    Well, I did get a little lost in the details, guess I was more concerned with the final outcome.  But, I will try my best. Apparently there were two custom orders for Surrettes 1660's.  Mine for 24 and another for 10, all same lot requested.  All were shipped together from Canada using of course a shipping/battery distributor.   NAWS did take my original order but they never physically had my batteries.  (Explained to me by the battery shipper/distributor in the Phoenix area handling my batteries).

The 10 lot order went out first for actual final delivery from the shipper/distributor, but for some reason the 10 battery order was short two batteries (I have no idea why, damage, Act of God, didn't ask) so the shipper/distributor saw the two pallets of 24 batteries (mine) and took two off of it to fill the order shipping out--all were the same lot.  The order for ten went out all same lot, and later when my order was shipped for 24 they just added two they already had on hand, older, different lot, and resealed the pallet and shipped it to me.  24 batteries came on two pallets and the "packaging" was different on the two, noticeably so.  Maybe if my order had shipped out first then I would have had all same lot, and the order for 10 would have been different?  Got a call yesterday and my two new replacement batteries being shipped from Texas were damaged in shipment and the battery shipper/distributor promised replacements for those immediately.  So there is action in this chain of ordering and shipping and I do appreciate the quick follow up.  Stuff happens...people are taking responsibility and correcting the mix up.

By the way, flipped the switch on my Outback system late today (less the panels--still under construction), system works very sweet. Batteries charge from my generator, I can draw from the inverters/battery bank for my 220 v well pump, my trailer, some outbuildings, nice.  The Mate is something else too, got to get studying and do the learning curve.

• Cosmos
    The battery supplier/distributor called yesterday from Phoenix and is delivering two new batteries to my door...which is great as we are rural and it is quite a drive.  He is leaving two new Surrettes and taking back the older ones so I will have essentially a battery bank of the same manufacture date which is sort of what this whole post is about.  I have the older batteries installed as part of my 48 v battery bank, connected to the 3648 inverters and I am charging the batteries using a generator at this time and putting loads on the system from time to time. 

Do I need to shut the whole system down so I can safely remove the two batteries that are being returned and then put in the new batteries (24 two volt batteries in series).  No solar panels are installed yet, all loads can easily be removed from AC side. If I remove all loads, if I remove charging, this will minimize current flow, do I just carefully remove the 2 older batteries from the other 22 and swap them out without needing to shut down or turn off anything?  Will the Outback inverters/system tolerate this, or is it better to turn everything off including inverters (and if so, how?).  Sorry, I know I should research this myself, but I got a lot of wet cement coming in just a little while for the solar array posts...and I still have one post left to level etc.  Thanks again.

• Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015 #7
    Disconnect the battery bank from all devices. Hopefully you have a circuit breaker or circuit breakers for that purpose.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015 #8

Hi Cosmos,

YES,  you must use the Main circuit breakers on your inverters ...  You should switch off the PV input breaker,  and the battery breakers  on the CCs,   switch off the AC output breakers on the inverter outputs,  then switch off the main DC breakers for the inverters (these are usually 175 A or 250 A breakers).

Then,  be very careful when disconnecting the battery cables,  as required.

Number each battery and each cell,   then  measure and record the SG of each cell in your Logbook.

Since this bank has essentially been in service,  you have probably installed the Battery Temperature Sensor is probably already installed correctly,  if not,  please install it now at the center of the battery bank,  about half way down the case of one battery.

As  you probably know,  Surrette recommends measuring the terminal voltage of each battery and record them in your Battery Logbook  --  check that each battery has the correct polarity (ie,  battery polarity not reversed).

If you do not have the Surrette Battery Manual it is available on the Surrette site:

http://www.surrette.com/uploads/pdfs/documents/user_manuals/Rolls_Battery_Manual.pdf

Top up any cells with low levels with Distilled Water.

Now,  Charge the battery at recommended Absorption voltage,  until the charge current into the battery bank decreases to 2 - 3%  or the 20 Hour Capacity of the bank (if you have the FNDC,  you can see this Return current).

Do your Commissioning EQ,  at the low end of the recommended EQ voltage  --  about 62 V on a 48 V battery bank.  If your Charge Controllers (CCs)  will not temperature compensate the EQ voltage,  you really should do this manually, IMO.

The EQ should proceed until the SG of the lowest SG cells stop rising,  then allow the EQ to proceed about 30 more minutes or so.

AND,  know that you did not receive exactly what you ordered,  BUT,   it seems that Wind - Sun and the battery vendor have worked hard to make good,  as much as possible,  given the situation.

Good Luck with the new system,  and I have been very happy with Surrette batteries,  and the service that Surrette provides their customers.

Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    And cover any tools used on the batteries with electrical tape so that you cannot accedently short something out (i.e., leave only screw driver tips exposed, tape handles for wrenches, etc.). Shorting a large battery bank is no fun.

Also, when adding water--Just make sure the plates are well covered... Do not fill to the top of cell (or water mark in split fill tube--if you have one).[

Common problem is that people fill batteries to "full line", then charge/equalize them pretty agressively. Gas pockets and heating of electrolyte can easily cause electrolyte overflow. After the batteries are fully charged (and warm) check the specific gravity of each cell (and log), and check water levels.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cosmos
    Greetings.  I sure appreciate the input.  How to shut down the system (Aguarancher and Vic), making tools safer and maintenance (Vic and BB), and the info on SG, terminal voltage, Surrettees, temp sensor, Commissioning EQ and "How to do it..." etc., (Vic).

I easily shut down the system using installed circuit breakers, changed out (carefully) the older two batteries and installed the new ones and flipped the circuit breakers back on and everything runs great!  I will do the Commissioning EQ that Vic describes so well in his post; what to watch for, when to stop, specific parameters--great info for a newbie. 

And the battery supplier/distributor came yesterday and swapped out the two "old" Surrettes with new ones, so now the battery bank is all about the same age.  I have no idea of the background communication exchange between NAWS and the battery supplier/distributor to correct my "same lot" issue but I do give them all a lot of credit for fixing the problem and taking the extra effort to remedy the matter promptly, politely, including sending out a employee and truck (for no charge--a full day almost to do the drive) and changeover.  Impressive in this day and age, actions always speak louder than words.  Thank you

• Cosmos
    Hi Vic
    I am trying to do the eq as you suggested.  Very interesting doing SG and V on each battery.  I cannot reset the EQ voltage in my system attempted to do it with the mate3 but cannot change any voltages or EQ time.  It is at 57.6 volts and one hour.   If I run the auto eq with this voltage for the one hour default I do get bubbling except in my one lowest battery that shows 1.165 and it has no change after the hour.  I am charging with my 8000 watt generator through the inverters as solar panels still are not up.  We use the inverters and batteries at night to run our off grid place and keep it quiet and then the ginny for a few hours in the morning to recharge the battery bank works out very well.  Any suggestions would be appreciated on resetting these EQ numbers.  Out in the Cosmos....

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Cosmos said:
    Hi Vic
    I am trying to do the eq as you suggested.  Very interesting doing SG and V on each battery.  I cannot reset the EQ voltage in my system attempted to do it with the mate3 but cannot change any voltages or EQ time.  It is at 57.6 volts and one hour.   If I run the auto eq with this voltage for the one hour default I do get bubbling except in my one lowest battery that shows 1.165 and it has no change after the hour.  I am charging with my 8000 watt generator through the inverters as solar panels still are not up.  We use the inverters and batteries at night to run our off grid place and keep it quiet and then the ginny for a few hours in the morning to recharge the battery bank works out very well.  Any suggestions would be appreciated on resetting these EQ numbers.  Out in the Cosmos....

Hi Cosmos,

I know NOTHING of the Mate 3,  or OB Inverters.

Those Default Absorb voltage and time settings are too low,  as you know,  and that one cell that is at 1.165 SG means trouble,  that EQing the bank would help,  also,  as you know.

Would suggest that you try contacting Outback Tech Support,  by phone,  or e-mail,  or perhaps try joining the Outback Power Forum:

http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/

More Later,  Good Luck,     Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can set bulk/absorb, to around 59.2v and time to 3 hours perform a charge.
    Then set bulk/ absorb to 62V for an hour.  This should get your cells fairly close. Do not forget to set them back to spec!!!
    You have new batteries and you should download the manual that vic suggested and read it.
    The batteries are not formed yet and it can take a couple months. Follow the setpoints in the manual and set the temp/comp.
    Do not worry much the first month but make sure you get a nice long absorb time 4-5 hours once a week minimum.
    The EQ is not that important now so just let the batteries form. You should see the SG get flatter in the next 6 weeks or so.
    Read the manual alot!

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Cosmos
    Thanks both Vic and Dave for your input.  I also downloaded the Rolls Battery Manual...lots of good info so far, want to spend some time with it and be sure I understand the information.  Cosmos

• Cosmos
    Vic & Dave,
    The Rolls Manual has a lot of good info in it, definitely want to keep it handy.  Between that Manual and the info printed on the battery case itself, the info I need to charge and maintain is there, just need to gather the practical day to day experience....

I have figured out how to program the system for the bulk etc using a configuration setting; I have done a good bulk charge, and even an EQ charge, checking the lowest cell for improvement, the one with 1.165 SG.  Regrettably, that cell is not even registering a SG anymore, but does show a charge of 2.09 V during EQ.  It is not hooked up wrong.  It is part of the original lot and not one of the replacement batteries.  I know we are drifting some off the original subject, but it is part of the new battery bank, this battery with no SG showing anymore.  Any suggestions?  Of course I will call Rolls Surrette and see what they have to say.  Cosmos.

• BB.
    Contact Rolls right away. Over the years, there have been a few folks here that have a new battery that seems to have very low (unreadable) specific gravity.

I have not heard of the root cause for this problem. But charging did not seem to restore the battery back to normal operation (again, the few times I have read about the problem here).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    edited January 2016 #17
    The one curious thing about his post is that he did not say he was getting nice long 4 to 5 house absorb times!  It is critical to do this as you know Bill and I hope he does!  Half of the failures that Surrette had with this No SG reading were caused by Surrette and the other half were the user not charging or understanding charging in my opinion.

Thanks for the rain Bill, we are up to 20" and 2/3 of normal for the season.

The OP should start a failure analysis with Rolls. They have been very good with this of late since the Engineer from Outback was hired.

• BB.
    Thank you Dave.

-Bill
  • Cosmos
    Hi and thanks for the comments.  I have not responded right away since we are very busy erecting Zomeworks and fixed arrays, trenching, and mounting panels.  After using the batteries and inverters at night, I have had to recharge using the inverters connected to a 8000 watt generator, or using an IOTA 48 volt battery charger (new) connected to a smaller 3500 watt Honda generator. (We have small present electrical demands while living in a trailer waiting for our home to be competed 200 yards away).   I have gone into bulk/absorb and float (according to readouts from IOTA charger, etc.) many times since getting these batteries in December.  Unfortunately this one problem battery had a SG which just slowly disappeared and now I registers no SG on it at all.  I have done many careful long charges using the Rolls manual as a guide for times and voltages, and helpful comments by posters.  I have also followed up those charges at times by using the IOTA charger (Outback tech said using a stand alone charger was ok) as a follow up for days without an loads.  I do register 1.90 v on this battery (no SG), but the other batteries are showing 2.20 volts, as well as showing a SG reading after charging.  Because of the problems earlier with the two batteries that were not of the same lot and the time it took to remedy that, and trying to keep the whole battery bank charged up and not risk an overall degradation due to outlying non-performing batteries, a couple days ago I decided to immediately go ahead and buy a single battery from NAWS, which I assume is quicker than doing a claim for this failing battery.  I do not want to risk "programming" the remaining batteries to less than optimum performance while getting issues straightened out.  Yes, earlier individuals and companies responded quickly and got me new batteries, they are to be commended, but it still took time, and now with this low SG battery more time, more effect on adjacent batteries in the bank when charging possibly, for me it is just not worth the additional time to file a claim and possibly wait and risk other battery degradation.  Yep, a single new battery is expensive, and shipping is almost as much, I just want to get the new battery installed, get charging, and get similar readings post charge on all batteries in my bank.    Cosmos

• Dave Angelini
    Steve Higgins at Rolls Battery is the man. Please don't just buy a battery and not get a failure analysis going with him. It is important for all of us to know that your problem is traced out to a root cause.