Moving to the grid from off the grid..

Options
bwoltz
bwoltz Registered Users Posts: 23
http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/15397/poway-off-grid-solar-panel-upgrade#latest

Add I screwed up and posted before I was done.

Anyway above show a picture of my current system. I had easement problems 17 years ago when I built the house and had the off grid system installed. The link shows the last upgrades.. The property with the easement problem was sold to a guy that will be building on the property and the easement problem is now gone.. SDG&E has asked for plans to connect and right now they are expecting a simple residential connection.. 

I know that I have to change over the inverter to newer system that compatible with SDG&E. It will probably be a Schnieder SW4024..

Are there any issues I need to be aware off?  As I understand it I need to apply for net-metering as it will soon go away.. 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Before you purchase the Hybrid Inverter--Make sure your power company will accept it (with battery bank).

I believe that S. Cal. Edison (at one time?) was slow rolling final paper work on any hybrid inverter system. The usual complaint is that they believe a customer will purchase off peak power and sell it back to the utility on peak--Thereby getting solar credits without actual 100% solar power.

I don't remember reading about any SDG&E issues--But get your ducks (permits/approvals) in a row before laying out the cash.

Also--If you are looking closely at economics (system payback) to justify the install... Beware that some utilities are starting to make "major" changes to their billing plans. For example, PG&E (northern California) just went from ~$4.00 per month minimum billing to ~$10.00 per month minimum billing. For me, my electrical bill was never that large--And that increase would be around 20% of my monthly (pre-solar) bill.

Some power companies have been toying with $48 to $96 per month minimum billing (who knows, 10 years down the road for California?)--Don't bet the kids' college funds on GT Solar--Everything is up for change (California is talking about utility based solar power vs per-house solar--For me 20 year grandfather means my system has something like 8 years left before they could pull the GT net metering plug).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Here are some more (possible) plans to increase GT Solar/Net Metering bills:

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/California-wants-solar-homeowners-to-pay-a-little-6700766.php

Lots of little taxes and charges being proposed.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Options
    bwoltz said:
    SDG&E has asked for plans to connect and right now they are expecting a simple residential connection.. 

I know that I have to change over the inverter to newer system that compatible with SDG&E. It will probably be a Schnieder SW4024..

Are there any issues I need to be aware off?  As I understand it I need to apply for net-metering as it will soon go away.. 

OK, this may be one of those obvious answer questions, but if SDG&E wants to connect the residence that's fine, but why do you ever have to flip the breaker and accept the electricity?

If off-grid is working fine now, and the investment has already been made, I don't see why somebody would take a step backward.  I'm wishing I could take the giant step forward and go off-grid completely, but until a wrecked Tesla with a perfectly fine battery shows up in the driveway I'm doomed to remain connected.
  • bwoltz
    bwoltz Registered Users Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks a bunch for the suggestions.. This place has always been excellent for information. 

If I go the connection route, I'd likely use a local electrical contractor. I've been talking to Mark Snyder Electric and he has done a few grid tied of battery systems also a bunch of off grid systems.. The device was his suggestion.. He would also take the Trace for some credit.. I'd expect that he would refurb and sell to some other customer...  I like the idea of contracting this stuff out as it would need to be done quickly and there will likely be a bit of trench work..

The trace SW4024 has been doing fine tho eventually it will need a another set of cooling fans.. It's currently on it's third set but their use has decreased since the last upgrade.. Most of the time they aren't needed and were only necessary when charging the batteries through the inverter.. The generator sits idle so much and I've been lazy on setting up the exercise part that it's battery goes dead. It ran maybe 10-15 hours in the past year.. 

I've actually thinking along the lines of sub3marathonman. I'll get the conduit buried to my place and all the easement stuff done but not hook up..System has been working fine and  who knows what's going to happen when I connect.. I would expect that while feeding the grid should generate some revenue but net metering is going away.  

I do think that a monthly charge for the connection is fair (hope it wouldn't be too much). After all selling power to the utility means using their extension cord... :-) Someone needs to maintain it.. 

It's kind of like the issue southern California is having over water.. Everyone has cut back and now the water districts need to raise rates to maintain infrastructure.

Thanks for the replies.. 

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your resale value and the ability of a buyer to get a loan are two reasons you would be crazy not to connect to the grid.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net