Why doesn't the genset and PV agree...can't we all just get along?!!!

morpho
morpho Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
When I put the genset on and it goes through bulk, then absorbs to the point where it's just wasteful to keep the engine running...why does the CC still say bulk charging from the PV system?

Anyone have deeper understanding than I do...(not a massive challenge by the way)
11.5 kw array  -  3 - midnite solar classic 200's   -  Magnum MS-PAE Inverter  -  Magnum ME-RC50 remote  -  ME-BMK batt-monitor  -  8 DEKA Solar GC15 230amp hour (48v) - Yamaha ef3000ise - 1 confused look on face

Comments

• morpho
    hahahaha...I just noticed the ranking next to my name has changed to "Solar Expert" Uhhhh...setting the bar kinda low I would say!
    11.5 kw array  -  3 - midnite solar classic 200's   -  Magnum MS-PAE Inverter  -  Magnum ME-RC50 remote  -  ME-BMK batt-monitor  -  8 DEKA Solar GC15 230amp hour (48v) - Yamaha ef3000ise - 1 confused look on face
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    compare the settings for the charger and the CC, therein lies the answer oh exalted one ;)

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • morpho
    OH MAN! That means I have to try to figure out those manuals!
    Every time I open one I get frustrated as Magnum and Outback make HUGE assumptions about what I am sure they consider common knowledge. They are clearly written by the engineers. But thats ok...I will settle in and get confused all over again.

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    You will probably find that the CC has its absorb value a few (several?) volts higher than the charger.  If there is an absorb timer on the charger /CC, compare those too....

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah well im still a new user. Helps me feel young again i guess.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• SolarMusher
    SolarMusher Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    Battery temperature sensor readings are different between Outback VS Magnum. If you want them to be closer, it would be better to "stick" the magnum with the outback on the same battery side with tape/foam or to increase Magnum voltage a bit. Agreed with others, also check your settings in both charger.
    Erik
  • morpho
    Wow zoneblue...cool page about your system!

westbranch
    SolarMusher
    So, I sat down and read the manuals again. There doesn't seem to be any way to change the absorb value on the genset side. It seems to be dictated by setting the battery type and voltage of the bank. I can change the duration but I can't change the in coming voltage. (or at least thats how I am interpreting what I read.)

Not the end of the world...I know my system is a bit behind the times...as am I most days.

SolarMusher....you are correct, I only have one temp sensor (outback) on the side of the batt. The other is the magnum and she is attached to a post. Are you saying I can move that thing onto the battery case!? Man...why didn't I think of that?

• SolarMusher
    ME-RC50 => Setup button => Battery type => abs voltage, float voltage, Eq voltage.
    Check your ME-RC manual and calibrate your FM60 to your real battery voltage. Magnum BTS on post will always be a bit warmer than the outback/classic on battery side, if needed, just increase absorb voltage by .4 on Magnum and check both voltages (FM60/magnum) when the gen is running to see if they match correctly when in absorb.
    That's what I did on mine to have abs voltage in magnum to match my classic voltage that I had calibrated accurately (magnum=59.2V, classic 58.8V).
    A+
    Erik
  • morpho
    Huh....
    Thanks SolarMusher...
    I have walked back to that remote several times now with manual in hand "setup - batt type (choose flooded) then the next option is charge rate. There is no "abs voltage, float voltage, Eq voltage"
    Maybe it's just the old dyslexia kicking in.

Thanks for the fine tuning advice.
  • SolarMusher
    In Batt type menu (just turn it), you will also find custom settings, that's where you can set your custom voltage for your specific batteries.
    A+
    Erik
  • morpho
    Ahhh...custom settings.
    Man...I do my best to not mess with anything on here for fear of blowing it all up. I see an option I am not 100% sure of...I don't push that button. 

Nuff said.

Thanks...I'll blow it up from here....I mean...take it from here.
  • SolarMusher
    Morpho, are you really pushing more than 50A from your 3kw array in that little 232Ah/48V bank?
    Didn't you limit your amps in in your FM60? Just to say that you should also limit power in your magnum charger to something around 50% max if you don't want to toast these batteries.
  • morpho
    Great question,
    I have never seen more than something like 35A +/- on the status screen.

Just checked the CC and it says:
    Current limit: 60A
    Absorb is: 58.8V
    Float is: 56.4V

Sorry...when you say: "you should also limit power in your magnum charger to something around 50% max..." Do you mean the charge rate for the Genset? This I have at 30% Which puts about 20A into the mix. Any more and my little yamaha is taxed.

The settings were all set-up by the installer and I have not touched a thing except to adjust the absorb time and the charge rate for the generator.

I do weekly SG readings. 
    I top up the water when needed.
    I can tell you this bank has probably been below 70% SOC a handful of times. Typically I wake to it sitting at 83% and I throw the genset on for about 1.5 to 2 hours if it looks like I won't be getting sun. This gets me to the lower end of absorb ...8A +/-. incoming.
    I shut it off and let the chips fall where they may until the next day.

For the most part it has been chugging along well...except for a nagging battery that gives me grief...and my BMK died on me.
    But I have been super happy for 5 years.

• SolarMusher
    Us asks for a 10% charge rate. so, if it was mine I would limit this current from your FM60 to batteries to 23/25 amps max at 58.8V .
    Limiting your Magnum charger to 30% (+/-18Adc) and the total load on your gen at 20Aac is fine (ef3000ise is 23.3Aac max/120Vac).
    Good luck with your batteries.
    Erik
  • morpho
    Solar Musher, 
    Thanks. I am sure the batteries are nearing their un-natural life span anyway. Either by my hand or my other hand.
    It is what it is. I am so ahead of the game either way - as far as I am concerned anyway.
    I will get this sorted before new batteries go in the box.