wanting to be off the grid

Options
TALLEN
TALLEN Registered Users Posts: 1
I have a small cabin on a mountain in the woods would like to go solar off the grid. I would need about 500 to 1000 watts it depends on the converter. The converter can put a load on the battery more then what I useing. I need help setting up a system any help would be appreciated. Thank You
Tagged:

Comments

• zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. The place to start is some homewrok for you. Make a list of the stuff that you want to run off your system, how long each one will run each day and what it draws in Wh/day. For most people this will takes a bit of detective work. Use a kilawatt type meter on anything that you arent sure about. Then get the sun hours per day for each month in your area. For this you can use pvwatts. Then come back and well see what we can do.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #3
    Options
    When you say you want to go off grid do you mean that you have grid power right now and want to discontinue it or that you have no power right now and want to install PV instead of bringing in a grid connection?
    The reason that I ask is that a battery based off grid PV system will end up costing you a lot more per kWh than buying the same amount of power from POCO (your POwer COmpany). And between the installation cost and the lifetime higher cost per kWh it may be less expensive to pay even a large sum of money to bring POCO in.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TALLEN said:
    I have a small cabin on a mountain in the woods would like to go solar off the grid. I would need about 500 to 1000 watts it depends on the converter. The converter can put a load on the battery more then what I useing. I need help setting up a system any help would be appreciated. Thank You
    Your advice will only be as good as the amount of info you provide. " I would need about 500 to 1000 watts"  is not useful at all because you need to state how many hours in the day that you need it.  If it were in winter and you needed 20 hours of that level of power it would be the biggest system I have for my clients. Not for the cabin crowd at that price. Anything can be done and this is a good place to learn. Where, why, when, who,budget, etc.  Just the facts.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net