WVO generator running 2 x 80A 24VDC alternators.

aus_fudster
aus_fudster Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi everyone,
Ive built a WVO diesel generator that i have running 2 80A 24VDC truck alternators, I want to use this to charge my 1550AH battery bank during low sun days. I have 3500kw solar panel setup which does well and uses 60A MPPT's.

My question is what kind of charge controller can i use for this to successfully charge the battery bank?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Comments

• WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

considering the fact that you're running an automotive type alternator a typical 24v voltage regulator should work.

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    If your were running  permanent magnet alternator like a wind or hydro turbine usually uses you'd then need a charge controller that sends excess energy to a load such as a heating coil.      Automatic alternators only produce electricity when the field in energized which is controlled by the voltage regulator.        Go to a car part shop, they should be able to set you up with a $25 controller.

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• aus_fudster
    foolami said:
    If your were running  permanent magnet alternator like a wind or hydro turbine usually uses you'd then need a charge controller that sends excess energy to a load such as a heating coil.      Automatic alternators only produce electricity when the field in energized which is controlled by the voltage regulator.        Go to a car part shop, they should be able to set you up with a $25 controller.

Sorry should have said, I have a 12V battery bank. I currently have 24V panels that my MPPTs drop down to 12V.

Would a 24->12v wind charge controller work for this?
    Could i use a solar MPPT CC as the voltage and current would be steady, as opposed to a wind/water generator which fluctuates. Would this work if i kept a couple of water heater elements running to pre heat the water going into my solar evaporator?

• Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,
    Ive built a WVO diesel generator that i have running 2 80A 24VDC truck alternators, I want to use this to charge my 1550AH battery bank during low sun days. I have 3500kw solar panel setup which does well and uses 60A MPPT's.

My question is what kind of charge controller can i use for this to successfully charge the battery bank?

3500 kW of solar panels !! Wow 
    Thom 
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    The MPPT front end of charge controllers may or may not play well with the 24V stiff (constant voltage) output of the alternators. If you can ask the CC manufacturer for their recommendation you could avoid costly damage.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • aus_fudster
    Thom said:
    Hi everyone,

3500 kW of solar panels !! Wow 
    Thom 

opps thanks for pointing that out..... 3500W (3.5kW)....