Help needed - Integrating a ProWatt SW 2000 with a xfer switch

cberster
cberster Registered Users Posts: 3
HI,

I see a lot of discussion about this topic back a few years ago on this forum...was wondering if now there was a final consensus. I've already blown up one inverter thanks to my electricians wiring the xfer switch backwards !!! Now I'm a little leery, to say the least, about swapping out another GFCI with a straight 20 amp receptacle !! I havn't made any mods to my new PW 2000 yet..but I know from taking the blown one apart that the neutral of the GFCI is jumpered to the chassis along with the green wire. My xfer switch has now been wired properly, and I have totally rung out the jumper chord that takes the 30A two phase connector to a straight 20A connector for the inverter. My 120v hot (black) line from the inverter is connected to both "phases" of the xfer switch in order to power both sides. I will never be using more than 2 circuits at once, and all of the required loads have been carefully measured.

Any current info you all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    cberster said:
    HI,

I see a lot of discussion about this topic back a few years ago on this forum...was wondering if now there was a final consensus. I've already blown up one inverter thanks to my electricians wiring the xfer switch backwards !!! Now I'm a little leery, to say the least, about swapping out another GFCI with a straight 20 amp receptacle !!
    Personally, I would suggest switching out to a non-GFCI receptacle. If you have a Ground Fault anywhere in your wiring, it will turn off all AC power (including lights).

I would put GFCI outlets where they are needed (sinks, outside, near pool, etc). That way, if there is a Ground Fault, only the circuit nearest the fault will shut down, and keep the rest of your devices powered (including lighting).

Or, just hard wire the inverter to your transfer switch.
    • My xfer switch has now been wired properly, and I have totally rung out the jumper chord that takes the 30A two phase connector to a straight 20A connector for the inverter. My 120v hot (black) line from the inverter is connected to both "phases" of the xfer switch in order to power both sides.
    I am not sure I understand your wiring above.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • cberster
    cberster Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks for commenting Bill...

Should I be concerned that the inverter also has a neutral to ground bond ? It's easy to remove..just a jumper from the neutral side of the GFCI to the chassis.  I've read where some have suggested removing it and let the neutral bond in the breaker box serve as the only one in the system.

I will do as you suggest and replace the GFCI with a straight receptacle.

To explain the jumper wiring....The xfer side is a 30 amp 240v female, the inverter side is a 20 amp 120 v male. My elecrician wired G-G, and Neutral-Neutral..and the black wire to X. Inside the transfer box he wired X to both sides of the xfer switch inputs so that I can power the 3 circuits on the left and the 3 on the right side of the xfer box subpanel... In reality I will probably only have one circuit activated at a time.

Thanks again..

Chuck